Hi all

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

juliemc

Hi all

Post by juliemc »

Hi Everyone,
i have just got my first ringneck she is 1yr old,and for the last week i have been on this website daily reading all the advise from everyone else,because 1, my Betty is a sqwalker
2,she isnt hand tame (will take food off you,and like time out of the cage but wont let you touch her~)
so we went off to the vet yesterday and had Bettys wings cipped,came home and guess what....?
Betty can still fly so im guessing he didnt do it properly as while i am typing this she is sat on the curtain pole watching me,guess im going to have to find an avian vet...i only wanted her clipped while we train her.
any tips for a first timer would be sooooo great xx
my beaulifull Betty
my beaulifull Betty
xx_sheena_xx

Re: Hi all

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

Congrats
Shes very beautiful :)
juliemc

Post by juliemc »

:D Thanks she is such a cutie
Joanie

Post by Joanie »

Hi and welcome to the board :) your Betty is a cutie and sounds a lot like my Betty.
mine is 18months old and supposed to be hand tame, talking and very sweet. mostly she goes to the top of her cage and faces the wall not me. she does say hi Betty but she is also a squawker.
she is out of her cage a lot but stays very close instead of exploring.
she hasn't been here a week yet, but i did clip her wings since everytime i got near her she would fly away.
she will take food from me but thats about it.
i guess we are both in the same boat with our Bettys.
i know she needs more time so we just have to work at it i guess.
Last edited by Joanie on Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
juliemc

Post by juliemc »

Wow our Bettys do sound very similar,my nieghbour told me of a local vet that is also a bird breader so im going to make an appointment on monday to get her clipped again (properly this time) :roll:
if i push it with her i can get her to come on my hand,by putting my hand in front of her and saying up,but she only stays there a min or so and shes off! you must keep me updated with ur progress with Betty.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

juliemc wrote:so we went off to the vet yesterday and had Bettys wings cipped,came home and guess what....?
Betty can still fly
Was just thinking that Betty may just have had a long wing clip. Our birds can fly quite well with their wings clipped but they can't fly up very much. The wing clip stops them from landing on our ceiling fans but they can fly short distances between their cage and gym and can always have a safe landing if they fall or get frightened. I personally prefer them clipped long.

Ellie.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Welcome to the forum.

I agree, Betty is a beautiful bird. :)

Have you tried to coax Betty to step up with food and feed her while sitting on your hand? it could entice her to stay there longer. :)

Also, I have found that if you are playing with something and it catches their eye, they come down for a closer inspection and sometimes decide it is going to be THEIRS and remove it from your possession :roll: :lol:
juliemc

Post by juliemc »

Wow i can get Betty to step!!!! She wont stay on my hand for long but she does step so i guess thats a start !! :D