New :)

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

racheljean10

New :)

Post by racheljean10 »

Hello everybody my name is Rachel :)
First of all I absolutely feel the need to say what a wonderful site! I've been looking into getting a bird of my own for the past year and after meeting a sweetie of a IRN at a local pet shop, decided to further look into the species.
I've worked with numerous species of birds before including macaws, cockatoos, eclectus, amazons, and conures. My fiancee and I own a 7 year old Military Macaw, Rockie :) Rock will gladly accept a nut from me and greet me with a chipper "Hi!" everytime I walk through the door, but he definitely favors my fiancee (to the point of being protective &typically not allowing anyone else to handle him). Basically, Rockie tolerates me - our friendship exists only when he is in his cage or when my fiancee is present to make sure he doesn't randomly snap at me.
[ Don't worry-there is only a nut inside of the container :) ]

What truly sparked my interest in the species was the beauty of my first encounter with an Indian Ringneck. It was a beautiful female who was baby blue in color with stunningly light blue eyes and a gorgeous redish beak - I'd never seen anything like her before. After handling her a couple of times (had it not been for the outrageous price she'd be mine) I fell in love and since then have been researching the species as much as possible.
I look forward to talking with you all and learning more about these beautiful creatures - hopefully I will find one of my own soon :)
-Rachel (:
Rockie (Calico Macaw)
Snakey (Columbian Boa)
Olie (Clear Cap Lacewing IRN)
Grizzly and Rex (Kitties)
Lochie94

Re: New :)

Post by Lochie94 »

Hi

I would look to purchase one from a private breeder instead of a pet shop as they can be so much more expensive. We've got an IRN Ollie who has taken to me, I bought it for my partner though :D as he is the one who loves birds (he has scaley breasted lori's and lovebirds)

So anyway would like to hear when you do get your own IRN :)
saaz17

Post by saaz17 »

Hi, Welcome to our feathered family/community lovely to have you here!
I have a little girl 4months just like the one your describing her name is Sandy handraised and i got her for $60 of a friend who breed's them! He sells them to other people for $100 which is very cheap!!!!! I would go for a breeder as pet shops are too exspensive and unreliable!
Atleast with a breeder you know the history of the bird and it's up bringing!!!!
Talk about exspensive at a pet shop they sell them at mind for $200 that bite the craaaap out of you and are so wild, they are soo ridiclous.. I would love to have a Macaw she sounds like one amazing bird a shame she is too keen about you!!!
Can't wait to here when you get a Ringggy they are truely amazing! :P
Owned by: 8 budgies, 4 Cockatiels & 1 IRN!
racheljean10

Post by racheljean10 »

Lochie: Ollie is such a cute name! I was planning on naming mine Ole (Oh-lee) :) I've heard a lot of stories about birds like that - a person buys them for their spouse (or even child/sibling) and they end up taking a liking to someone else ;-P I'm hoping to find a well socialized baby so that (hopefully) he/she will be willing to go to most anyone, even if they do decide to bond with my fiancee over me.

saaz17: Petco wanted $599.99 for their Ringneck-talk about expensiiiiive! I went back last night to visit her and she has gone completely wild since the last time I saw her (about 3-4 months ago when they first got her) - it actually made me kind of upset. My first encounter with her, she would willingly step up to anyone, but last night when I asked if I could take her out, the man said "Let me go grab some towels and see if I can get her". My heart dropped - she seems terrified of humans now; it's pretty obvious that they spend NO time with their birds...it's heart breaking ;( Where abouts do you live, if you don't mind me asking? I live in South Dakota and breeders are rather sparse around here - even if you do find a breeder, they usually don't breed ringnecks. The only breeder I found (who lives about 4 hours away from me, but still in SoDak) is selling her breeders because she claims no one really buys Ringnecks anymore (at least in this area). I'm thinking shipping is probably one of my only options now? I'm just having trouble finding breeders, let alone breeders with not outrageous prices.
-Rachel (:
Rockie (Calico Macaw)
Snakey (Columbian Boa)
saaz17

Post by saaz17 »

Hello.. Again!
I live in Melbourne, Australia!!! That is an outrageous price.. you can buy a Macaw here for that price! I got mine for $60.. could buy a couple dozen with $600 .. That is soooo sad I have had mine for 3 days and she does kisses on the lips on cue now.. she loves cuddling up and having scratchies.. comes shopping and on dog walks! Happily stays on my shoulder and won't fly off! My pet shop is an outrageous price too but they get handled a lot! All staff have them on their shoulders.. and customers can just walk up to their cages and pick them up.. the birds walk and perch on their cages freely all day around constant human interaction!!! Wish i was near you, would happily get one of my friend for you!!!!!!! Ringnecks are very popular family pets in my area.. and everyone keeps asking me for my friends details because they are interested in one after meeting Sandy they reckon she is sooooo cute!! Hope you find someone fast to get one off, you are missing a lot, they are such amazing birds!
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

ummm.... you cant buy a macaw for $599, they are usually $5000
it also depends what color it was, some IRN mutations are very expensive, and thats just for a parent raised bird.
normal greens, blues, lutinos and albinos are going to be much cheaper than other mutations.
racheljean10

Post by racheljean10 »

I know you can find some mini Macaws for around $600 in some places. Heck, we got Rockie for free :) It just depends on how much time you spend searching for a good price. Speaking of searching I think I may have found an IRN baby! I'm hoping everything works out!
-Rachel (:
Rockie (Calico Macaw)
Snakey (Columbian Boa)
Melika

Post by Melika »

Good luck and welcome! Kudos to you for doing your research FIRST!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
saaz17

Post by saaz17 »

xx_sheena_xx wrote:ummm.... you cant buy a macaw for $599, they are usually $5000
it also depends what color it was, some IRN mutations are very expensive, and thats just for a parent raised bird.
normal greens, blues, lutinos and albinos are going to be much cheaper than other mutations.
uhhhhh yeah you can, i know heaps of breeders around were i livee.. depending on what type ranging from $600 so yeah don't think you know everything, you may live in victoria but it doesn't mean you know breeders and such..
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Welcome Rachel.

Hope you manage to find a breeder soon and you get your birdy.

saaz17, what breed of Macaws are sold for $600?