What colors will I get?

Moderator: Mods

ringneck1234

What colors will I get?

Post by ringneck1234 »

What colors of chicks will I get from a cobalt grey cock and a lutino lacewing female? I am new at this. :D
dog_glenn123

Re: What colors will I get?

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hi there ringneck1234,

It is not possible to have a lacewing lutino hen (Pallidino)

But here is the result if it is cobalt grey cock to lutino or lacewing hen.

1.0 D grey(sf) blue
x 0.1 ino
% from all 1.0
25.0% 1.0 grey(sf) green /blue ino
25.0% 1.0 green /blue ino
25.0% 1.0 D grey(sf) green /blue ino
25.0% 1.0 D green /blue ino
% from all 0.1
25.0% 0.1 grey(sf) green /blue
25.0% 0.1 green /blue
25.0% 0.1 D grey(sf) green /blue
25.0% 0.1 D green /blue
Babies will be green or greygreen or the same but dark factor.

1.0 D grey(sf) blue
x 0.1 pallid
% from all 1.0
25.0% 1.0 grey(sf) green /blue pallid
25.0% 1.0 green /blue pallid
25.0% 1.0 D grey(sf) green /blue pallid
25.0% 1.0 D green /blue pallid
% from all 0.1
25.0% 0.1 grey(sf) green /blue
25.0% 0.1 green /blue
25.0% 0.1 D grey(sf) green /blue
25.0% 0.1 D green /blue
And the same again the difference is what the babies will be split to.

Thanks Glenn
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi,

Can you post a pic of the cobalt grey cok?
Which colours were his parents?

Cobalt grey is blue-dark-grey. Dark and grey are estructural mutations, like violet. In general grey mutation does not allow to "see" violet or cobalt, looking both of them like normal grey.

Recio
Last edited by Recio on Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ringneck1234

Post by ringneck1234 »

Glenn--I just had the lutino dna sexed and it is a female. Why cannot it not be a lacewing? The edges of wings and tail are white. I am new at this, so I really don't know. The breeder said that she is a lutino lacewing. I have heard that the lutino is sexlink. Does this mean that the male is one color and the female another? The female is 11 months old. Do you have pictures of the difference between lutino and lacewing?

Recio--I am trying to get my new camera to connect to this computer, but I have been unsuccessful thus far. I will keep trying. The male cobalt grey cock is supposedly from blue birds, but I don't have the exact details. He is a 5 year old proven cock that lost his mate earlier this year. Is the grey dominant?

dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hi i will explain it the way i ander stand it but Recio will give you the exact reason.

Basically a female can only carry 1 either x or y cromhosone and a male can carry two. (Im not sure which one it is)

Which means that one mutation sits on one of them and one on the other hens a male can be bothe lutino(ino) and lacewing Pallid and a hen cant be, so it would be either a green pallid or just a normal lutino hen which is a green bird just with a lack of melanin due to the ino gene.

If you are in Aus there are alot of breeders that try and sell pallidino hens but they just dont really know the genetics properly.

Same as cinnimon and coblat birds just because its light or dark some people automatically assume its either or but in fact the birds can be differnet shades of its colour and still just be a normal blue or green bird etc.

Also alot of people call there greygreen birds Olive! they look olive but there is a difference olive is dark factor green.

Thanks Glenn

Recio will give the exact details
Recio

Post by Recio »

ringneck1234 wrote: Recio--I am trying to get my new camera to connect to this computer, but I have been unsuccessful thus far. I will keep trying. The male cobalt grey cock is supposedly from blue birds, but I don't have the exact details. He is a 5 year old proven cock that lost his mate earlier this year. Is the grey dominant?
Hi;

Since dark and grey are dominant you can not get a grey cobalt bird from blue parents. Check with the breeder. You said that it is a proven bird: ask the breeder about the colour of his offspring as well as the parents' colour.

Recio
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi,

About lutino, pallid and pallidino. I will try to explain it in a simplistic way to make it easier.

Any mutation is a change in a gene coding for a protein (ex: melanin). A gene can mutate in different ways: each different way a gene mutates is called an allele. For the gene coding for melanin there are 2 different known mutations (2 different alleles):
1. Mutation called lutino: there is not any synthesis of melanin, and thus, the bird appears lutino.
2. Mutation called pallid: there is a partial synthesis of melanin, and thus the bird is clearer and with a yellow head.

The gene which mutates for both possibilities is the same.

Sexual cromossomes are different from the other cromossomes (autosomes) because they determine the sex and because they are different in males and females. In mammals, like humans, males display different sex cromossomes (called XY) and females display a double copy of the same cromossome (XX). In birds it is just the opposite: males are XX and females are XY.

The gen coding for melanin is located in the X cromossome. Since female birds are XY, her only X cromossome can only carry the gen mutated to lutino or to pallid. Contrary in male birds, which are XX, each X can carry the same or different mutations as follows:

X - X ................... normal not mutated bird
Xino - X ............... normal bird split lutino (since lutino is recessive)
Xino - Xino .......... lutino
Xpallid - X ............ normal bird split pallid (since pallid is recessive)
Xpallid - Xpallid ...... pallid
Xino - Xpallid ......... pallidino

For the females:
X - Y .................. normal non mutated female
Xino - Y .............. lutino female
Xpallid - Y ........... pallid female

As you can see females can not be split ino, can not be split pallid and can not be pallidino.
I have tried to make it easy but I know that some sentences are not strictly right (isn't it Saud?)

Hope it helps

Regards

Recio
ringneck1234

Post by ringneck1234 »

Interesting info on the female. I did not realize the chromo are backwards. So I am not sure what the female is--all I know if that she is yellow with a white fringed tail and wings. Even when her wings are close to her body--the whole outside edge of the wing is white with the rest of the wing bright yellow. Does age have anything to do with it? I haven't gotten the DNA papers yet but the breeder said he called and they told him it was a female. I live in Texas which is a far cry from Aus. The male is mostly dark grey with a head that is blue in color with a black and white ring. He has orange eyes. Is he perhaps just a regular grey? I don't know--all I know is what I have been told. I am not sure what the male's background is--I saw several birds before I settled on him and received a load of information for each bird--perhaps I got it wrong--I will have to check with the breeder.
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi,

Your female (yellow with white flying feathers in wings and tail) is a creamino (lutino-turquoise), nothing to do with pallid. The male (grey with blue head) is probably a blue-cinnamon.

Recio