Friends Share

Moderator: Mods

Poppy

Friends Share

Post by Poppy »

In my home - The bird came first which meant that the new puppy had to learn to get along with her and share life with her in the house. From a very young age I let them interect. This was my puppy Taylor at about 4 months old, Homer is about 16 Months old. Homer only had to bite her once as a baby and they were great friends ever since and still play together :) Now there are 2 dogs and both have the same manners with my baby bird :)

Hope the video link works! First time I have done this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooHQXczqMSA

We think caged birds sing, when indeed they cry...
pinkdevil

Re: Friends Share

Post by pinkdevil »

If that was one of my dogs, the bird would have been dinner as well.
What a sweet natured little doggy. :)
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hmmm... An IRN that likes dog food! Very adorable... well done for raising them so that they get along.

Ellie.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

I dont know if your birds are the same, but anything one of us eat the bird will try! even if it's the dog food! My dogs eat kibble in the morning and a warm meal at night of chicken livers, rice, veggies etc and the bird will have a taste guaranteed! And vice versa! the dogs sit under her stand and wait for her to drop apple and biscuit off for them. I think she does it on purpose when she sees them sitting there looking up in anticipation :)

Like I said, the bird was there first, the dogs had to respect her and I have never had a problem. She nipped my female puppy in the video once when she got too rough and never had to again! Every so often they gang up and bark wildly at her and run around the coffee table that she likes to sit on in circles to confuse her but she holds her own and will chase them off if they step out of line!

I do find it strange though because both my dogs will chase wild birds - they go hysterical if they see birds in the garden yet they dont seem to see her as the same creature and have gone so far as to protect her from monkeys. Once I cam outside after hearing her flapping her wings around and I caught my female dog standing over her and growling at the monkeys to leave her alone once - she had fallen off her stand. oh for a camera then!

My bord definitely rules our roost :)

We think caged birds sing, when indeed they cry...
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Sounds like your dogs have accepted her as part of their pack. That's so well done that you were able to achieve this. Wondering... in your household... in the dog's eyes... who is the leader of your pack?

I don't have a dog... but I often wonder if I have a strong enough personality to be viewed as their leader... because I understand if they don't view you that way it leads to all sorts of behaviour problems.

It's really nice how they look out for each other and give each other food. You should be proud of your achievements... Does your IRN fly? Do you let them hang out together when you're not around... 'cos I'm not sure that I'd trust them together unsupervised.

Ellie.