Clipping wings of Breding Pairs??

Moderator: Mods

SCB -SA

Clipping wings of Breding Pairs??

Post by SCB -SA »

Is it a bad idea to clip the wings of my new breeding pair? they are bonded and have bred together before, so i am not concerned about aggression, and they are not in a large aviary, rather a small cage/avairy, only 1.8 x 900 x 900. Cage is a bit delapadated, and door is quite large, i am worried about them flying out when i change food and water. Male is very pretty boy, and dont want to risk loosing either of them. Please say what you think?
pinkdevil

Re: Clipping wings of Breding Pairs??

Post by pinkdevil »

If you are worried about escaping, then maybe clipping is best for your situation at this time.
Do you have plans for a bigger aviary for them down the track?
SCB -SA

Re: Clipping wings of Breding Pairs??

Post by SCB -SA »

I am planning on getting a bigger aviary, but only in about a years time, I am just not sure if clipping their wings will affect them in any way, I am collecting them on Saturday and would like to take them at the same time to have their wings clipped, but dont know if it will worry or stress them out as they are currently nest active and i dont want to put them off breeding, but i dont want to take the chance of losing either of them. Especially seen as I will not be the only one changing food and water, my mum will be as well, so i will not always be there to watch and be extra careful, I know how quick they can be! Lost my green female once whilst changing her water, (and her wings were clipped!) but luckily managed to catch her in the neighbours garden. All 3 of my indoor ringnecks wings are clipped, but they dont breed, so want to be sure i am doing the right thing before i go ahead and do it!