My Babies

A place to talk about all species, apart from our Ringnecks. Please, post video and pics when available.

Moderator: Mods

MariaFT

My Babies

Post by MariaFT »

These are my 'babies', and I'm very proud of them! Last year I gave all four away to friends and good homes. This year will be the same. I have another 8 out in the aviery, but I'm waiting for another week or so if I can, (one of the males got away, leaving Mum with the load).
Attachments
Getting bigger by the day.jpg
Week 1 handfeeding
Week 1 handfeeding
pinkdevil

Re: My Babies

Post by pinkdevil »

Wow, just look at the little fatties. :D

Very nice.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

nawwww beautiful :)

hope my dads IRNs breed soon so i can handraise some bubs :)
MariaFT

Post by MariaFT »

Thanks guys. They are so cute, and all the different personalities! Now there are 'bossy', 'greedy', 'the lurker' and 'Mr Patient' lol.

I love my babies.... :)
Melika

Post by Melika »

Adorable. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Congrats on these beautiful little babies!

Ellie.
MariaFT

Post by MariaFT »

Here are 5 of my little ones. Sorry about the quality, it was taken on hubby's camera. They are all so precious! The 3 larger ones are in a separate box, I was a bit scared the little little ones would be trampled.

I think by the end of next week they should all be fine to go in together :)

Edit. They do get cleaned up of all the food on them lol. They tend to get a bit excited at 'food' time lol.
Attachments
New Little Babies.jpg
MariaPMC

Post by MariaPMC »

:D they're so ADORABLE. Congratz. Hope they stay healthy and grow well :)
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Just looking at the picture again, there seems to be one really little guy (beside the big guy in the middle). Is he younger than the others?

Ellie.
MariaFT

Post by MariaFT »

I know, he's the baby baby lol. But he eats like a little piglet lol. He's growing everyday! I think he was the last one hatched :shock:
MariaFT

Post by MariaFT »

Some new pics of my brood. I usually feed the small ones separately to the bigger ones, but put them all together to get a pic. It got a bit messy lol.

Found a great new produce place today, and got a 5kg mix of parrot mix with big chunks of fruit and nuts mixed in. You can add extra seed and they mix it for you. The birds are in heaven!
Attachments
What a Mess!.jpg
Feeding Time at the Zoo...jpg
333greenbean333

Post by 333greenbean333 »

wow, they have grown!
how old are the green ones in the picture?
David
(((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))
julie

Post by julie »

I find it easier to feed the bigger ones in with the smaller. When they get bigger I find they tend to get distracted really easily so I feed them a little bit and go straight over to the smaller with whats left , this way I dont have to constantly be checking temps and everyone seems to be happy. and it makes it a fair bit quicker.
MariaFT

Post by MariaFT »

Hi David, three of them were hatched on the 23rd October, and one of the smaller ones is from the same clutch too.

Julie how do you stop the bigger ones trampling the smaller ones? Once they eat they just seem to want to burrow under anything handy lol.

Two of the smallest ones have just started opening their eyes, I didn't think the smallest one would make it, but all seem very well and healthy. Thanks guys for your kind comments :)
julie

Post by julie »

I dont have near as many to feed as you but I feed the smallest first and the bigger ones have got used to waiting for the smaller to feed. Closer to the end of the feed they all start doing their little head down bum up and try to run under eachother but the smaller ones learn quick to play rough with the bigger ones. It also helps that i can keep the formula around the same temps constantly so I dont need to fuss too much in between reloading the syringe.
MariaFT

Post by MariaFT »

Julie, do you keep all of yours housed together? I currently have all the smaller ones in a shoebox with a clean towel changed at every feed. The older ones are in a large plastic tub, with newspaper lining, and about an inch of wood shavings that are changed daily.My husband drilled airholes in the sides and lid. It is quite big though. I was thinking of putting the smaller ones in by the end of the week, depending on their feathers coming through a bit more.

What do you think? They are housed on top of a large tropical fish tank, and the heat comes through the bottom of the tub and shoe box.

My poor little shoe box babies lol.
julie

Post by julie »

Apart from the new one in the nest mine are together. They were in the heat box but now are in a puppy pen. The puppy pen (approx $20 at places like sams,aldis ect) allows them to run around and climb. I have wood shavings in the bottom. Being in the pen they climb up the sides and flap, by the time they reach the top they are nice and strong and confident enough to try to fly. They have toys in the pen too. Its so funny to watch them play in the pen. The heat that you have sounds good and the heater in the water provides humidity. I have reptiles so I have access to heat lights and heat mats ect so I use them.
julie

Post by julie »

in my pics you can see my little one just hangs with the others. They discovered the temp/humidity gages and were quite amused for awhile.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

They sure have grown. Looking good. :)
MariaFT

Post by MariaFT »

Thanks guys, sorry I've been a bit busy, and the heat's knocking me around a bit. I've put all the babies in together today, and I needn't have worried. The smaller ones are definately the biggest pigs, and the older ones patiently wait for the frenzy to die down lol.

Here are some pics a week on...
Attachments
My Little Fatties.jpg
MariaFT

Post by MariaFT »

Here are 6 of the bubs as of yesterday. They youngest two are still in the box. The smallest seems to get picked on in the big cage, so I've separated the two smallest, they still all like to go into the box at night lol. They dive into it when they see it.

Three of them had their wings clipped on Friday, but now another two are flying.

The three who were clipped are all in cranky bitey mode at the moment, but it's getting better. Just have to persevere :shock: They've also discovered ears lol, hence my 'hunched' look in the pic :)
Attachments
Getting crowded.jpg
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Looks like you have your hands full! lol

Gorgeous birds!

Ellie.
MariaFT

Post by MariaFT »

Thanks Ellie lol. Yes I do, it's like a full time job :) But I love them!