Breeding Season

Moderator: Mods

Rueae

Breeding Season

Post by Rueae »

Alright, so I'm a newbie breeder and I was just wondering...
Breeding season is different in different places because of temperature, right?
So in Phoenix, Arizona it's...mm...December through February, correct?

My query is this; since breeding season seems to be based more on climate than time...does it make a difference if the breeding pair is inside or outside?

I bought my breeding pair from a woman who had them outside. I keep them inside, because I'm afraid the heat might be too much for them (they lived a fair ways more north than I am now) and also I deeply fear them getting stolen.
However, I wonder if I'm totally messing up their season by keeping them in the house.

The male seems intent to sleep next to her. (He likes the perch, but she hangs in a top corner of the cage. Since he seems to be the more interested of the two, he sleeps up there with her.)
They steal each others food and he feeds her. I've seen him make the little love heart shape with his wings, as well but only a handful of times.
He follows her everywhere when they are out of the cage and he seems very protective.
I've noticed the female paces a lot. Just back and forth, walking on the bottom of her cage and I'm not sure what that's about.

(Figured I'd give some details of their behavior, if that makes any difference.)

A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song.
julie

Re: Breeding Season

Post by julie »

Im pretty sure they adapt to the climate they are in at the time. some people on purposely have an artificial climate in order to get them to breed. Here (Australia) my pairs have chicks and just started laying and most people in other parts of aust have chicks that are old enough to leave home.
Rueae

Post by Rueae »

So it'll just happen when it happens regardless of inside/outside homing?

julie

Post by julie »

yep :D if the conditions are right there isnt much that will stop them. Do you have a breeding box in with them? is she actually eating or is he feeding her?
Rueae

Post by Rueae »

No, I haven't put the box up yet. There are some technical problems with it's make. XD;
(The door for me to open it is on the same side as the hole for them to get in and out. Oh noez. :P)

julie

Post by julie »

are you able to put a pic up of the box. if its what Im thinking i dont think it would be too much of a problem. are you worried about them escaping or disturbing the hen?
Rueae

Post by Rueae »

No, it's not that. I need a way to open the door and look at the hen and such, while the box is on the cage. I can't do that if the hole for them and the door for me are on the same side.
I'm having another one made, when I get that one up I'll try to post pictures, I suppose. :P