and more bubbies...

Moderator: Mods

pinkdevil

and more bubbies...

Post by pinkdevil »

Last week my 2yo handraised Lutino hen hatched 2 chicks from her 4 eggs. Unfortunately, both the chicks died in the nest. I am guessing mum is a bit too young and inexperienced along with being her first clutch. So I removed the last 2 eggs from her and placed them under my other Lutino hen, 4 yo Jasper, who laid 6 dud eggs.
Well great news is that Jasper has taken to the eggs and successfully hatched to little bubs. She is being a great mum protecting and feeding her adopted babies. :D

Do they look like they have red eyes to anyone??
Mother is Lutino, father is blue, unknown splits. If they do have red eyes, then dad is split for ino as well.

Introducing the 2 chickies.....
Attachments
feral chick 2.jpg
feral chick 2.jpg (62.68 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
feral chick1.jpg
feral chick1.jpg (109.86 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
pinkdevil

Re: and more bubbies...

Post by pinkdevil »

I also found these in the lorikeets nesbox this afternoon.
I was wondering when they would be hatching. :lol:
Attachments
rainbow chicks 3.jpg
rainbow chicks 3.jpg (49.35 KiB) Viewed 6225 times
rainbow chicks 1.jpg
rainbow chicks 1.jpg (121.69 KiB) Viewed 6225 times
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Wow, what great photos! Congrats!

I don't think I've ever seen such detailed photos of such young IRNs. I'm glad your other lutino hen is looking after them well. I can't tell about the eyes yet. Sorry.

I've never seen baby lories before... I had no idea that they grew that fuzz.... Do you know what purpose the fuzz serves? Is it to keep them warm?

Thanks for the amazing pics. I'm most impressed!

Do you intend to handraise all of your chicks? If so, that's going to be one huge job!

Ellie.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Thanks Ellie.

The eyes look red to me but I am not sure if it just looks redish because they are so young. :lol:

I am guessing the fuzz is to keep them warm, bit like cockatiel chicks, fuzzy. :D
But I did have someone comment on just how fuzzy they are compared to their lori chicks. So maybe it is because it is slightly cooler here than further North...who knows.

I will partly hand raise the lories. I leave the chicks with the parents until they are around 4 or 5 weeks old then finish off. Lori chicks are sooooo easy to tame even when they are taken as older chicks.
With the ringie bubs, I am not sure yet. If they are green, I may leave Jasper raise them as this will be her first time as a parent. See what happens. :)
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

eyes deffently look red to me!
you can tell black eyes from red when they hatch

you lorie babies are sooo cuteeee!!!!

Congrats :mrgreen:
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Yes, Sheena, I think they are red to. Was trying to mentally visualize other coloured babies eyes were at that age.
TD

Post by TD »

Congrats Pinkdevil, great pics. Just out of interest, what are the dimensions of the nest box for a rainbow lorikeet? I'm getting to the point where I'd really like to get a female for my male. Cheers, Tim.
Razsringnecks

Post by Razsringnecks »

Congrats Pinkdevil :P
Eyes are red to me!
Yes at hatching you can tell the red from the black eyes in chicks.
You have LUTINO'S there! well done :P :P :P
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Thanks everyone. :)

The little chicks eyes opened and they were definitely red!! But unfortunately, for some reason, both chicks were found dead in the nest a few days ago. :( :( :( Not sure what happened as they were nice big, healthy chicks, with full crops and starting to get pin feathers. I am wondering if during the night, the hen was spooked and did not find her way back to the nest and the babies got cold....who knows. So sad :( :(

TD, I use the same nest box for the lories as the IRNs. At a guess, 20cmx20cm, 45cm deep.....very rough estimate though.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

That's so sad. I'm so sorry. :cry:

Ellie.
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

Sorry to hear about your babies! :(
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Thanks Ellie & Lilly. It was heartbreaking to find them gone like that. The worst part, I was going to remove them the day before to handraise but decide to leave them a few more days. All the 'if onlys' went through my mind. But can't help mother nature.
TD

Post by TD »

So sorry to hear :cry:
Do you have other pairs breeding?
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Thanks TD. Yes, I have a green pair currently with 3 chicks in the nest & the parents to the blue & grey chicks I have for sale are back on 3 eggs this week. Not sure if the eggs are fertile or not yet.
sammie.m

Post by sammie.m »

pinkdevil wrote:I also found these in the lorikeets nesbox this afternoon.
I was wondering when they would be hatching. :lol:

OMG they are so dam adorable n so dam fluffy "LOVE EM" i am hoping my two lorikeets hav babies they mean everything to me i was only just given them couple of months ago they are quite friendly jumping n playin with me but i cannot get my fingers near them as they intend to bite they are getin alil beta.. but a cannot figure out wat is wat in sex as i thort i had it figure out i caught them mating n the "FEMALE" was on top haha. but noooooo eggs yet unfortunalty
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

You can not tell what sex each is by looking at them, even though some people have had 'luck' at picking the right ones. DNA or surgical sexing. Even 2 lories of the same sex can behave as a normal breeding pair. Each one taking on the correct role. You could have 2 males and never see eggs or 2 females and never have chicks.
My lories have laid 2 eggs every clutch, they can lay up to 3.

I must take updated pics, their little coloured feathers are popping through now. :D
sammie.m

Post by sammie.m »

im gonna be so devo if they are the same sex, coz there the ones we originaly wanted to breed.. as the people that gave us the birds had 3 but unfortunalty one died, u watch that one was probly gona be the oposite sex to the ones i got now.. dammmmmmm could they not lay if they dont hav an appropiate nesting box???

oh yeh i would loooove to see some more photos of those lil fluff balls.... they are some amazing loving birds. even if they do bite wen i try to pat them ha
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I think if the nest box was too small, that could prevent them from laying, otherwise I find mine will pretty much explore anything I place in the aviary. Even if they are aviary or wild bred birds, these guys seem to have a very inquisitive nature.
When I was a kid, my parents traveled around Aust alot. One place that sticks out in my mind was out in the whoop whoop, a flock of wild rainbow lories used to visit the camping grounds we were staying at. Every morning and night, the birds would visit for a free feed. I managed to talk mum into giving me a piece of bread with watered down honey on it. I raced out to feed the pretty birds. They flocked on and around me, pretty cool when you are a 7 yo old. lol :D

I think over time and persistence, you do have a chance at quietening them down, maybe just not as quiet as a handraised bird.

Oh, lories will not usually breed if more than one pair to an aviary/cage.
I had all mine in a large aviary and not one bred. After having them DNA'd, separated them, they started breeding.
A big breeder of lories said they will not breed when housed together, and that rang true with mine. Not sure if having them in separated cages but as neighbours also affects them as they may still think they are together. I have mine in separate cages but away from each other now and have had success with breeding.
sammie.m

Post by sammie.m »

oh wow yeh that would have been awesome at that age. n with such a beautifull bird too.. ive only eva grown up with cocky's as my nana use to hav alot out on a farm.
we only hav one pair of lories and one pair of ringnecks and atm there on othersides of the yards as the ringnecks are in a huge cage thats why i was kinda hoping the lories could house with the ringnecks.
wat other birds can be house with the lories

and what birds can house with ringnecks

and i think maybe the nest is too small then coz it isnt very big at all
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I am not sure what birds can be housed with either breeds as they both can be aggressive. I house all my birds separate and they do tend to try and fight each other through the wire. I have had to double wire a few aviaries to help stop the blood shed. Especially between the conures and IRNs.

Lories can be vicious little things to, as cute and playful as they are. Maybe someone with more experience with housing birds together, may be able to help more.

I did read somewhere, bird beaks of same size only. But a few lovie breeders have commented on how vicious these little ones are for their size as well and to house them separate from other breeds.
I guess it really depends on if a bird was brought up with another species as to how they will get along together.