thoughts on a companion for my moustache

We love to hear daily stories, ringneck antics, and more ringneck antics!

Moderator: Mods

bohnnco

thoughts on a companion for my moustache

Post by bohnnco »

Hi,

I don't think folks post as often in the moustache group so I thought I would try here. I have a 7 month old moustche male. He has been with me since June. He lives in a nice, sunny room, has an outdoor cage as well where he spends a few hours in the fresh air and dappled South Texas Sun. His diet is zupreem and a ton of mixed veggies and fruits. I do not give him much any seed. I do give him roasted, no-salt almond, cashews brazil nuts, oats, pasta. I have full spectrum lighting for his indoor cage because it will get a little dull come winter. He showers with me 3, 4 times a week and loves it. He seems happy. The issue he is shreds his chest feathers. He does not pluck to skin. It is just a down, gray chest and legs. He started to put on some new feathers, I could see the pin feathers, but he picked the as well.

The avian vet gave him a clean bill of health but did say that sperm in his feces suggested he is already showing signs of sexual maturity, which is very rare at his age. Lucky me!

I am sort of torn. I feel he might be happier with a female moustache but I am not ready to breed. I am OK with losing my buddy to bird companion if it makes him happy but I feel it is irresponsible of me to allow him to breed. Thoughts? I have considered a rescue INR or Alex in a different cage, same room? There are so many in need of homes.

Peace...
ellieelectrons

Re: thoughts on a companion for my moustache

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi

I don't consider myself enough of an expert to answer most of what you've said there... The only thing I want to comment on is:
bohnnco wrote:I am OK with losing my buddy to bird companion if it makes him happy
You don't need to lose a companion when you get a second bird. We have found that introducing a second bird has complicated some things... but overall, we have find that we get two companions and they have each other when we're not home. We spend a lot of time with both of them to be able to achieve this.

Good luck with your decision.

Ellie.