7 week old Indian Ringneck

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

HayleyJade99

7 week old Indian Ringneck

Post by HayleyJade99 »

okay. i have two problems.
Me and my sister, just got 2, 7 week old Indian Ringnecks from a breeder in town.
First problem is, that my indian ringneck doesn't seem to be eating its seed/fruit. Is there anyone who can help us with this problem. The bird does this tounge 'thing' where it moves repeatedly. We think its a sign of hunger, but we're not a bird expert.

& the last, i was just wondering when it is good to get their wings clipped?
My baby, is flying already, not that far, but has some sort of height.

Thank you,
Bird Lover.
xox

P.S PLEASE REPLY FAST
ellieelectrons

Re: 7 week old Indian Ringneck

Post by ellieelectrons »

You may need to spoon feed some baby bird food?

You could also try sprouting seed.

Ellie.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

IMO, 7 week old ringies are a bit young to be fully weaned. Mine are usually not fully weaned until 10 weeks at the earliest, usually around 12.
I agree with Ellie, buy chick raising formula made to the directions on the packet and try feeding with a bent up spoon, and offer that along with millet spray, seed, fruit and veg. You could try mashing fruit up and they may eat it better that way.
If you birds do not get enough food, complications could set in and you will spend time and money at a vet.

As for wing clipping, it is a personal choice but I like to allow the young birds to develop flying skills and build up muscle before clipping. If I do clip a bird, I sometimes leave it till around the 4 or 5 month old. Gives the young bird time to learn how to fly.
HayleyJade99

Post by HayleyJade99 »

Thanks guys for all the help.
:D

& we will be using your technique for our babies,
thankss
x
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

ellieelectrons & pinkdevil are right and have offered great advice.

The babies are not fully weaned yet. You really need to be an example for them and show them how to feed. another thing to try is to Soak the seed to make it easier for them, softer, also offer soaked milk arrowroot biscuit, even feeding them with very clean hands as you pick at the food offer it up to their beaks.

Also mine at that age loved soft corn and pea's, pick up a pea or corn kernel and push the inside of the kernel out of its skin, offer this soft inside to the baby, let them watch you with the food and they will follow. They need to watch the parent (yourself) and learn what to do. They will be fully weaned and fledged by about 10 weeks.

An easy way to give them the formula is with a clean syringe. Gently squeezing some into the side of their beaks onto the tongue so they can swallow it down.

Good luck
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Unknown az

Post by Unknown az »

Hey I have an Indian ringneck parrot I had it since it was 3week first it used to happily eat the powered food but not it has stopped eating it like it has lost its interest . So i stated giving it Apple even tht he has stopped eating . He started to fly now . so I wanted to ask how and what to feed him