Flock call

Moderator: Mods

Dj tweet

Flock call

Post by Dj tweet »

Ok 2 questions here

If anyone has or can record and post a moustache or ringneck flock call would be greatly appreciated need to prep myself for the oncoming assult on my ears lol

Secondly. Many people have said that when a bird flock calls you you should answer back with a simple it's ok or whistle or such like
Now this seems sensible but I also have concerns as is this notjust rewarding the bird for bad behaviour and engoraging it to repeat such actions

I understand the principle also of ignore the bad and reward the good buy how do I go about incorporating it all into a smooth flowing system

I want to start out right from day 1 and have been Told he is bad for flock calling so am hoping with some more attention and the right plannin place I can reduce this
julie

Re: Flock call

Post by julie »

are you sure its not dont answer the flock call? I wouldnt and dont answer to mine when they do it because it encourages them to do it. Flock calls can be really really loud and quite irritating especially to neighbours and others in the house.
My boys occassionally do a call but mostly its "here boy" Hey my boys" or something they normally say daily. I think it depends on what they know gets attention.
floridamedgirl

Re: Flock call

Post by floridamedgirl »

In my experience, IRNs have the ability to be very loud, however, you can help them decrease the amount they call. Mine pretty much only calls in the morning when he wants out of the cage and is ready to eat. Otherwise, we usually keep our IRN out and about (he is fully flighted) so unless he cant find us or wants to know where we are, he is mostly just a chatterbox.

Teaching your IRN to whistle or talk and offering praise is a good solution. IRNs will call, and there is no way to stop it. You can encourage talking rather than screaming, and ignore the obvious acting out calls for attention. If you are looking for a quiet bird, Im not sure IRNs fit that bill! Mine is very well behaved and just chats to himself or to us most of the time, but usually dawn/dusk he gets more vocal. sometimes its a lack of attention that will make them scream. IRNs can be velcro birds and require alot of time and dedication. If you cannot offer the amount that your particular bird needs, he will definitely let you know.

Good Luck
Jess :mrgreen:
"Wally" IRN Male DOH 3/8/09