New IRN, Pics and some questions

Moderator: Mods

Jen144

New IRN, Pics and some questions

Post by Jen144 »

Hi
I got my Ringneck just 2 days ago. Decided to call him Kaelen. :) He's a gorgeous Grey IRN, apparently 4 and 1/2 months old, I'm told.
Here's a picture of him, do you think that age is correct? (he's still rather scrawny and his feathers aren't in the best condition, but he hasn't been brave enough to eat for the first 2 days--he ate all today--so his good looks will improve soon I hope! :D )

He's quite tame so far, he's already eaten off a spoon I was holding in his cage and today he was gently beaking my fingers. I just held still and ignored him, I assume he was exploring and making sure my hand was safe so I hope I did the right thing by letting him do it and not reacting? The last thing I want is to accidentally encourage him to bite!

He's also started calling out quite a bit, I'm sure that normal as he is aviary-bred and now is in a cage by himself and he can hear the budgies outside..I'm hoping that will stop sometime, especially once I allow him out of his cage to explore? I'm also not going in the room while he is calling out (though sometimes I whistle back to him and he stops to listen) but waiting til he is quiet for a while then going in. This is the right thing to do to make sure he doesn't start a habit of screaming, yes?

Just wanted to introduce my new bird, ask your opinions on his age and how I'm handling him so far. Looking forward to replies! :)
lenny_hayes

Re: New IRN, Pics and some questions

Post by lenny_hayes »

Jen144 wrote:Hi
I got my Ringneck just 2 days ago. Decided to call him Kaelen. :) He's a gorgeous Grey IRN, apparently 4 and 1/2 months old, I'm told.
Here's a picture of him, do you think that age is correct? (he's still rather scrawny and his feathers aren't in the best condition, but he hasn't been brave enough to eat for the first 2 days--he ate all today--so his good looks will improve soon I hope! :D )

He's quite tame so far, he's already eaten off a spoon I was holding in his cage and today he was gently beaking my fingers. I just held still and ignored him, I assume he was exploring and making sure my hand was safe so I hope I did the right thing by letting him do it and not reacting? The last thing I want is to accidentally encourage him to bite!

He's also started calling out quite a bit, I'm sure that normal as he is aviary-bred and now is in a cage by himself and he can hear the budgies outside..I'm hoping that will stop sometime, especially once I allow him out of his cage to explore? I'm also not going in the room while he is calling out (though sometimes I whistle back to him and he stops to listen) but waiting til he is quiet for a while then going in. This is the right thing to do to make sure he doesn't start a habit of screaming, yes?

Just wanted to introduce my new bird, ask your opinions on his age and how I'm handling him so far. Looking forward to replies! :)

Hey :P
I have a 9 month old Indian Ringneck parrot, and you will find he will squawk a bit, especially if he is bored. Remember to try and spend an hour or more a day with your bird, whether just sitting on your shoulder or playing. My bird enjoys sitting up on the curtain. The person that told you the age of your bird seems correct, as he still looks smaller than the older. Ringnecks, I'm told, don't grow much, since I got mine at around 4 months, he has only grown 2cm or a tiny tiny bit more.
You are doing the right thing by not reacting to the bites/nibbles. If he starts getting angry in his cage or if you want him to step up onto your hand, clench your hand into a fist. By clenching your hand into a fist he won't be able to grab onto any of your skin so you won't get hurt!! That's what the pet shop owner I got lenny from told me! :D
Indian ringnecks start to scream around morning, midday and sunset. If you react and go to him, he will most likely think you are going to him because he is screaming, so whenever he wants you, he will probably scream.
My IRN doesn't scream often, as they grow older they get used to the times you feed them, play with them etc. But remember to spend an hour or more a day!
Try some new toys in his cage also, but be careful choosing toys, as he could get very frightened of them. My bird is afraid of the ball with a bell in it.
Try giving your bird a bath if you get worried about his feathers, my lenny gets a bath every month, and his feathers are in great condition the pet shop said.
Or leave a bowl with water in it to let him clean himself in.
To stop the screaming try to distract him, by either letting him out of his cage, toys, or putting the cage out in the sunshine for a while.

Hope this helps, I know I wrote alot!!
Emily :)
My 4 pets I love more than anything:
Pixie my dog, Garfield my cat, Lenny my parrot, Abbey my Kitten.

Post by ellieelectrons »

Jen, sounds like you are doing a great job to me! I wish I was as consistent as you are!

Ellie.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

What a little sweetie.
I am sure he will look like a stud muffin in next to no time. :D