licence for birds (Eclectus parrot)

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

sarahb

licence for birds (Eclectus parrot)

Post by sarahb »

i am looking to purchase a breeding pair of ecky parrots and i was told i will need a licence or permit for them im in SE QLD and was told i can find the form i need online since i know allot of people on here own other birds apart from ringys i thought someone might have a link for the form i need.

thanks
Shane7285

Re: licence for birds (Eclectus parrot)

Post by Shane7285 »

Hi Sarah

I just did a google search and came up with this. I searched for licence application form parrots. It is a recreational wildlife licence, and specifically states Eclectus on the form.

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&source= ... 9df6a926f3

Regards

Shane
sarahb

Post by sarahb »

thanks Shane will check it out now

cheers

Sarah
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Yes, I believe that all Australian native parrots require permits... The eclectus are among my favourites... I got to nurse some baby females once and they were so cute and lovely!

Ellie.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

In NSW, a license is not needed for the Solomon Island Eclectus but in Qld I think a license is required for all breeds of Eccies. I know of someone in Qld who keeps Eccies and holds a license.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I didn't realise these were state-based laws. Interesting! I thought the eclectus was an Australian bird. Are you saying it's from the Solomon Islands? I'm learning so much from this forum!

Ellie
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

There are a few sub species of Eclectus parrots in Australia.
They are found in a small pocket of Australia in far North Qld, New Guinea, Solomon Islands and a few other areas. Eccies share the same area as Green Tree Pythons, (only know that as my partner keeps reptiles :D).
It is thought when New Guinea and Australia (were joined), broke away, a small pocket of Eccies remained in Australia while the rest stayed with New Guinea.
Sub species include Red Sided, Sumba Island, Solomon Island, Vosmaer and Australian Eclectus.

Here is a link to a bit of info on the species. :)
sarahb

Post by sarahb »

Thanks for all the responses yes i have been doing a heap of reading on them to and the differant subspecies its all quiet interesting i cant wait to get my pair soon as i sort out the licence and that they really are quiet pretty birds. I think im turning into a bird addict lol started of with 1 ringneck now in a matter of about 2 months ive got 5 ringnecks, 1 quaker (which Ive just sent a dna test away for so i can get it a mate) 1 sun conure, 3 budgies and a pair of eccy's on there way shortly! not to mention im hoping to have some ringy baby's born soon i have 3 eggs and they are due to hatch on the 15th of this month so excited about everything :lol:
sarahb

Post by sarahb »

Well i am officially licensed got my permit this morning so excited my eccky pair come on Tuesday all the way from Sydney have to pick them up at the airport cant wait ! They just sold there last clutch of baby's and apparently are ready to breed again so i will have little eccky baby's running around in no time :mrgreen:
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Wow! Congratulations! I'm so jealous! Not really, very happy for you. Best wishes. Good luck with breeding them! Will they be tame?

Ellie.
sarahb

Post by sarahb »

Im not sure if they are tame or not guess i will see when they get here im hoping they are that would be great that way i can interact with them and get to know them better and will make things alot easier come breeding time i just found out today that they are the Australian subspecies i was hoping they would be as they are the largest i will make sure i post pictures when they arrive on tuesday. I cant wait till next week new babys hopefully and new eckkys and should get my dna results back its going to be a big week for me and i just cant wait :mrgreen: