Got my new Plum-head baby!

Moderator: Mods

Compassion

Got my new Plum-head baby!

Post by Compassion »

Got my little guy a couple days ago,I had him shipped from Tampa,Florida to Seattle,Washington. I flew from Juneau,Alaska to pick him up and bring him home because Continental doesn't fly to Juneau and I didn't trust Delta to transfer him to Alaska Airlines.

Anyways I LOVE my new baby,he is more than I could have ever hoped for! He is almost 4 months old,I call him a he but I still need to do a dna test to find out for sure.

I was wondering if anyone knows when Plum-heads go through their first molt? I had the breeder clip his wings because I put him in a different kennel for the flight back to Alaska and took him as carry on and I wanted to clip him in case I had to take him out of teh kennel when I went through security. (which I did and I was thankful for the clip!) I'm just wondering when he might start to molt those wing feathers out so he can fly again.

If anyone else has a Plum-head I would love any tips or advice you could share please!

ringneck
Site Admin

Re: Got my new Plum-head baby!

Post by ringneck »

I don't have any plum heads at the moment but have worked with them! They are wonderful little birds and not as aggressive as ringnecks. The first molt should be around 7 months--sometimes 5 months. Keeping the wings clipped is always a good idea as it makes the parrot more dependent on you.

Such a cute little guy/girl you got there! I really love plum heads! Congrats on your new family member! :wink:

Best Wishes :wink: ,

IMRAN-C
Compassion

Post by Compassion »

Thank you for the speedy response! :D I do like to keep my birds clipped as needed if they start to get out of hand but I always clip mine so they can get some lift off and so they glide. This poor bub was clipped so he falls rather than gliding so I was so nervous he'd hurt himself. I re-arranged my living room to make it easier for him to get arround and took the cage off it's stand so it's not so high up.
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Wow, sounds like your little fellow found a wonderful home! 8) I can't wait to see more photos of your little monster!

Best Wishes,

IMRAN-C
Compassion

Post by Compassion »

Took a quick video http://www.youtube.com/user/AkAngie#p/u/6/tkdZFApS8ko I just love how he uses his foot to hold stuff. I have four lovebirds and only one will use his foot,nothing like this guy though. I just spent over $100 on toys and I want to buy more lol,it's fun shopping for a bird who appreciates his toys :D
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Wow! Love the setup! Looks like your little plumhead has so many toys! I totatly agree with you--i love how they use their feet! :lol: :lol:

What a wonderful video! Thanks for sharing!

Best Wishes,

IMRAN-C
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Beautiful little baby. I have only seen these birds in books and their vibrant colouring really catches my eye. Congrats on the little one. :)
Compassion

Post by Compassion »

Yay got my dna results and my baby is a boy!
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Woot! Woot! Congrats! I can't wait to see photos of your little guy once he gets his full colors! You gotta show us pictures...I bet all the ringnecks here are gunna be jealous! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the update!

IMRAN-C
Compassion

Post by Compassion »

Here's some updated pics of Morpheus,although I call him Moe now because everyone assumed he got his name from the character off the Matrix movie when I really named him after the Greek God of dreams! He'll be one year old next month and I can hardly believe it. I am curious if anyone knows when he migt go through his next big molt?

ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Awwww.... what a beautiful little guy!

Ellie.
Ring Neck

Post by Ring Neck »

What a beautiful Plumhead, how are they as pets? I am interested in getting one. Thanks
Sixty Fiver

Post by Sixty Fiver »

What a beautiful boy... the Plum colouration should come in at about 18months and at first glance your boy still looks like a girl.

Have been working with a 3 1/2 month old PHK at the shop and find this little parrot to be an absolute joy and "Pumpkin" just gets better and better every day and is a very confident little bird who likes everyone.
Sixty Fiver

Post by Sixty Fiver »

Moe is adorable !

Amazed at how wonderful these small 'keets are... was away fro a month and got back to my work at the shop to find Pumpkin moulting and looking a little scruffy but otherwise happy and as lovable as ever.

Colours are coming in and are noticeably dark so wonder if Pumpkin is older than her chart says and that Pumpkin might be a bloke.

One of the cutest baby birds ever... still loves my hoodie but is getting more adventurous and is gentle beyond belief and even when "pumpkin is mad it is more amusing than anything. I usually get a lecture from him when it is time to go back in the cage... :D

[imghttp://www.ravingbikefiend.com/bikepics/pumpkin1.JPG][/img]

If Moe and Pumpkin are any indicator of the species I would endorse them pretty highly if one was looking for a quieter and well disposed companion.
mikemck1

Post by mikemck1 »

Wow, these are truly beautiful.