Please Help!!!!

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

craigvik

Please Help!!!!

Post by craigvik »

Hi,

I am new to this site and from NSW Australia. I have and IRN named Indy who is a female. She is handraised and I have had her since a baby but now she is about 9 mths old and I am still dealing with the bluffing problem. I have looked up all info I can find to try to help her like me. I have done everything the breeder has told me to do and given her plenty of attention and the right foods to enjoy but still it is as if she hates me. I never put my hand in her cage while she is in there, I open the door to let her come out in her own time before I approach her. She will step up on to my finger if she wants too, and enjoys coming out two or three times a day. Her wings are clipped for safety but they are growing back now. She really bites me hard, and unexpectantly! Eyes pinning, featheres up!! She will sit on my shoulder and bite me hard, un aware...she puts holes in my clothes! I have tried to ignore this but sometimes it is hard....How long should this bluffing go on and does any one have any tips for me. My kids can't go near her and I am told this stage will pass but for now I am really wondering how long it will take. Once her wings grow, I wont be able to clip them as she wont let me touch her, no matter how soft and gentle I have been. I have owned quite a few birds but not an IRN before. I have had no trouble with my cockatiels. I am worried for her and don't know what to do next...PLEASE HELP!! :roll:
pinkdevil

Re: Please Help!!!!

Post by pinkdevil »

I replied to some of your questions in your other post. :)

I really think the bluffing stage lasts as long as we 'allow' it from how we react and things we do.
Just because one technique works for one bird, does not necessarily mean it will work for another.
Animals are great at picking up our vibes and I think even though sometimes we are not reacting, we actually are through our fear of the beak.
You know like when someone is upset and you just know, even though you have not seen them cry? Well I believe that is how animals pick up our emotions.

Have you tried finding her fav treat, holding it back from her daily food and getting everyone to feed her that? Maybe if there is something she really really loves and she is only getting that from you and the family, it could encourage her to try and be nice to get it.

It is really hard to narrow down and give advice on what to do. I do what gives me a different result in a positive direction, even though that same method may not work on my other birds.
On youtube there are a few videos on training parrots, some are quite good ideas.
craigvik

Post by craigvik »

Thanks so much, yes got your other reply, and really appreciate it. I will try the food technique first and see how that goes. She really likes peanuts and almonds so that might work!

I really want to get her past this...I have tried so hard.

Sorry to post twice...wasn't sure where I should go first!!

Thanks again for your Help!! :)
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Just hope there is something in there that will work for you and Indy.

:)