new to IRN can you help with colour and questions please

Post by ashbuster »

hi today i have brought a IRN
i have always wanted one
i am told it is a young 09 female
could you help me with what colour she is
heres a couple of photos

at the moment shes scared shitless
when i go by the cage she tries to fly off but obviously the cage isnt big enough so she smashes into the side of the cage,
now where i picked her up from she was even worse since i have had her shes calming down a little but still freaks out when we go by her,
now i take it this is something thats going to take a while for her to build the trust in me but will she ever get over this and be fine and tame?
i take it im suppost to give her space for a few days to settle in before i start to try and handle her but where do i start lol
thanks for any help given, i will obviously always look around the site for help but any help to a irn thats freaking out like mine would be good
im new to the forum
also is it normal for her to stand on one leg and tuck the other leg in under her wing?
julie

Re: new to IRN can you help with colour and questions please

Post by julie »

Hi and welcome to the site. I think she is a pastel silver color. who clipped her??

You will need to get her used to you being around.Some things to try.
put her cage somewhere that she can observe what is going on (maybe where you sit the most)
let her see you eating (they are food driven)
Talk to her as to calm her.
when you think she may be interested in what you are eating slowly try to give her some through the cage.
do these things for a while until she sees you dont want to hurt her and then work up to touching her.
ashbuster

Post by ashbuster »

thanks for the quick reply
im not sure who clipped her i only had her today and the person i brought her from said she is clipped,
im new to this and have been doing what it says on the forum to help settle her in,
i have gave her some decent food and not the rubbish he was feeding her
he was constantly feeding her on budgie food,
but shes in my main living room with us and we are talking to her and whistling to her, not too much to startle her but she is interested in us and shes only scared now when we go to touch the cage
we can get close to the cage now
shes got better in just a few hours i think the person that had her before actualy scared her.
so if shes a silver pastel colour is that a good colour for a IRN im new to this and as soon as i seen her i brought her because shes realy nice and seemed like she needs help because she obviously didnt trust the person i had her from, when he went near the cage she flapped around all crazy
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Sounds like she is either not tame, has not been handled much or in a rough way.

Will take time and patience for her to gain your trust.

Good luck :)
ashbuster

Post by ashbuster »

i tried taking her out today
omg she bites so hard i couldnt get her off
shes took a big chunk out of me lol
i think its way too soon
what should i do
shes biting out of fear
bec

Post by bec »

from the sounds of her behaviour & the look of that clipping job she has not been handled well at all
BLESS YOU!!!!!!
for taking her from that place
it will be a very slow long process gaining her trust but so worth it in the long run
i am presently in the same position but the bbad treatment for my little girl was the male i bought her to mate with
these are the main things i do in taming trivi (my girl)
i only put my hands in the cage for food and cleaning purposes & i dont look at trivi while my hands are in her cage (female irns can be very territorial about their cages)
when i am sitting in the birds room(most people call this a dining room)
i sit on a chair at about 2 foot from trivis cage facing the tv i give trivi some special treat in her food bowl & then sitt down with my hand tamed lori on me & hold his treat while watching a movie or reading playing with the other bird shows trivi im not scary (to mutley anyway) and that i am not likley to hurt her
other times i will walk slowly up to her cage talking to her & watching her as soon as she becomes uncomfortable i stop then stand there talking till sh calms down when she calms down i start walking towards her again when i get to the side of her cage i push a treat through the bars
as she is clipped if you let her come out of the cage for about an hour a day just find a comfortable thing to be doing for that time & open her cage
let her come to you
the onlything id be working on with her now is gaining her trust the rest can come lateer
rebecca malka

Post by rebecca malka »

[size=150]Congratulations on your new IRN. The color of the photo is not too clear to be 100% certain, it may be either Silver or pale blue. It will actually take about 2 weeks minimum for her to settle in. If she was mistreated it may take longer.

One thing I have learned with the first bite is that they pack a wholloping 75 kg force in their bite! It hurst! I think every IRN owner has had one bite at least.

They love corn on the cob, you can skewer it up with an apple chunk minus the pits and a slice of cucumber. You can see what I mean in my posts. Never ever feed your birds the fruit pits. They are deadly, no avocado, choclate, tomatoes, parsley to name just a few.

Good luck and keep us posted with updates on her adjusting in your home. Remember she is new to you, just as you are new to her.

[/size]