multiple breeding pairs in one aviary

Moderator: Mods

cmach70

multiple breeding pairs in one aviary

Post by cmach70 »

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone have kept more than one pair of breeding ringnecks in an aviary to have them pair up themself and not fight. Reason I ask is, Iam hoping to keep two pairs in an aviary that is about 2.5meters x 1.8meters x 1.8meters high. Do you think this is alright or should they only be kept in pair only. Thanks
pinkdevil

Re: multiple breeding pairs in one aviary

Post by pinkdevil »

I have never kept more than one pair per aviary, so not too sure. But during breeding season, some pairs do have a bit of aggression towards neighbouring pairs in other aviaries.
abdulwassay

Post by abdulwassay »

I have experienced that having two pairs in a aviary. All was going well they both lay,hatched and now the chicks of both the pairs are about 4 weeks old suddenly the Moms started fighting each other.So it is not advisable to kept two pairs in one aviory.Now i have to seperate them.My aviory size is 6feet high,6 feet deep and 6 feet wide.

REGARDS
ABDUL WASSAY KHAN
P A K I S T A N.
333greenbean333

Post by 333greenbean333 »

I have dont that befor, The 2 moms worked together and bred in the same nesting box, there were 8 eggs in total, I had to get a bigger nesting box. both mums raised all the babies fine.
but i guess this was 1 in a 1000 chance.
goodluck
(((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

I have had two pairs in an aviary the same size you described with 2 nest box's it worked the first year but the second year one of the hens killed the other hen and her babies. dont really advise it, maybe if both hens where sisters out of the same nest themselves they may get along better. Good luck either way.
cmach70

Post by cmach70 »

thanks guys, answers my questions.
cmach70

Post by cmach70 »

What about a communal aviary, what other types of birds could go with them?? Thanks
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

My next door neighbour had a ringneck (cock) with finch's,budgees and a tiel plus gynea pigs, rabbit and a turtle. but he was on his own and buddied up with the cockatiel.
I think it wouldnt matter until breeding season. Females are very territorial.
You should always have a spare cage ready if you try that because it doesnt take them long to kill each other.