Is this a dead forum...?

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

smallworld

Is this a dead forum...?

Post by smallworld »

I dont want to be impolite or offend anyone as I am new to this forum myself but why is it so inactive? There are an abundance of unanswered posts that go back to january this year. I find the idea of a ringneck forum exclusively for ringnecks totally cool but a little bit more activity would make this place really fun.
Joanie

Re: Is this a dead forum...?

Post by Joanie »

its pretty quiet here. i have a few unanswered posts too. i did get some helpfull info when i needed it though so its ok. at least i can participate here, there are a couple other bird forums that won't even validate me so i'm on the outside looking in, can't post.
there just aren't a whole lot of IRN owners out there, i guess we are an odd bunch huh?
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Yeah I know what you mean about the other bird forums. There was this one forum about birds and it seems like its been there for years and everyone knows everyone else. So when you join them, its like you're an outsider, then you say something one of them doesnt like, next thing you know, you go the whole forum trying to burn you at the stake! To add to that, everyone knows everybody elses first names and they dont even call each other by their nicknames. God I despise such communities.

Yeah its a little quiet in here huh? Most of the time I'm the only one online. I dont think we're a weird bunch but an unique bunch :wink:
julie

Post by julie »

some people wont reply to questions that have been asked way too many times, although it gets a bit repettitive at times new people may have different ideas and suggestions to help out.
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Yeah I used the search function to check about morning screaming but i only found about 4 posts and they dont help much. Maybe I'm not doing it right. Anyway, for the past 2 days we've covered his cage after the sun goes down and take the covers off at about 7 am. Not the best solution but I really dont want him screaming in the morning. The cover has worked so far, he hasnt screamed :)

Thanks anyway for your reply
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

We are not like that--we welcome everyone and no the forum is not dead right now:) it's very busy...i messed up the search and i'll fix it:P

IMRAN
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Hi Imran,
thanks for your reply. I got a few helpful replies now :) No you guys are not like other forums n thats nice!

cheers
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

You're quite welcome my friend:) We are glad to have you here! :wink:

Wishing you the best,

IMRAN
jobo2mi

Post by jobo2mi »

Not dead at all!!! But I know I stayed away awhile until they got the SPAMMERS taken care of!! It was AWFUL!! But looks like it's back in full force so will be spending time here too!!!
Joanne

and the fids -
Parakeets - Emma (RIP Bonnie & Clyde)
Tiels - Rosie, Howie
QP - Isis
Sun Conure - Precious
IRN - Nala
Caique - Timber
and the cat - BK
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

yeah, spam is such a bad thing but we are always working on. But i PROMISE nothing is ever gunna happen to this forum;P Glad to have you back! 8)

Best wishes :wink: ,

IMRAN
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Hi all, I check back when I can. I use to be on regularly, when I was a stay at home mum to kids and fids. The kids have grown and I am back to work mostly fulltime so only get spurts of time on here.

I love to read others posts now instead of being the board hog I use to be. I guess alot of us are out spending quality time with the fids and only come back to ask for help or share something exciting the fids have done recently (I speak mainly for the long timers like me, I have been a member for a few years now).

Maybe it goes in waves, and its just a bit of a quiet time now, especially with all the new communities out there that suck up peoples time, like facebook and youtube etc.

Anyway, glad to see you here :D believe me there is plenty of archives to search and read ;-)
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

solobaby

Post by solobaby »

there is a very nice forum that im on thats very interactive its quite new but everyone always trys to awnser any question you have and they love to hear about each others birds , there are not many members but they are very accepting of new members and everyone is super nice, i love being on that forum you guys should go check it out there are people of all ages on there so know one feels out unlike on some forums being only 15 i feel very looked down upon on some forums :D
Azure

Post by Azure »

but this forum is not bad too! :)
oh btw.. im 15 too XD and really wana ringneck but circumstances prove it hard to get one...
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet
solobaby

Post by solobaby »

im not sayin its bad its just a bit slow, i really like that there is a forum that is focused on ringnecks. i just really like how active is i am also on another forum that is very active that i love :D if you cant get a ring neck then maybe you should go join those two forums and see if there is another kind of bird you can get i know that the members of both forums will be happy to give advice :mrgreen:
effekt

Post by effekt »

This forum is definitely alive and well! Best parrot forum I've come across :)
evaleen

Post by evaleen »

yeah, one of the best parrot forums that i'v come across too. but its also true that its a bit quite here...
but still. the admin, and the other members seem quite warm... :)
(warmer than some other forums at least... where the newbie ALWAYS gets shunned out. its just so sad...
i mean, we'r all bird lovers here...) :cry:

i'm looking forward o spending time here, i cant wait to get a green irn. but that'l b as soon as someone answers my post...
:cry:
i cant buy it without u people's help... so i'm waiting rather impatiently for my new to-b-friend...
i hope it gets more lively soon... :mrgreen:
Eva
WickedOne

Post by WickedOne »

I was beginning to wonder if this forum was dead as well, but I'm glad to see it's not.
I'm so glad I came across this forum. I've had the same experience with some other forums (not bird related) where people are rude just because you are new. I'm glad to see that everyone here is respectful.
The information here is great too. My baby Luna has been biting me ever since I brought her home, always after she gets out and gets a good cuddle from me. I felt hopeless and worried I had done something to make her dislike me. When I found the article on bluffing and the posts from other IRN parents that have gone through the same thing, it made me feel much better. I look forward to getting to know everyone as I learn about these wonderful birds. :D
effekt

Post by effekt »

My IRNs went through a bluffing phase and it was not fun! It didn't last too long, thankfully.

Rather than react badly, or get angry, I tried to ignore their behavior. I also learned a good trick to teach them to just bump my finger or hand away when they want to be left alone, rather than bite. So when they were in their bluffing phase, most of the time they just pushed my hand away with their beak. Although I noticed they were most nippy early in the morning if they had been woken up.

Sometimes cuddling with a bird can lead to nippy, demanding behavior, so you may want to spend only a few minutes per day cuddling, and the rest of the time teaching them tricks and that type of thing. It keeps their smart little minds engaged, and still allows them to interact with you, and will help them to get out some of their energy.

Best of luck with your bird!
WickedOne

Post by WickedOne »

effekt wrote:My IRNs went through a bluffing phase and it was not fun! It didn't last too long, thankfully.

Rather than react badly, or get angry, I tried to ignore their behavior. I also learned a good trick to teach them to just bump my finger or hand away when they want to be left alone, rather than bite. So when they were in their bluffing phase, most of the time they just pushed my hand away with their beak. Although I noticed they were most nippy early in the morning if they had been woken up.

Sometimes cuddling with a bird can lead to nippy, demanding behavior, so you may want to spend only a few minutes per day cuddling, and the rest of the time teaching them tricks and that type of thing. It keeps their smart little minds engaged, and still allows them to interact with you, and will help them to get out some of their energy.

Best of luck with your bird!
Thanks! Yeah she wants to sit under my chin alot, but I don't let her do it too often right now because I don't want her to become clingy. She's been in her bluffing stage for about a week now, I'm hoping it's almost over. I keep her foot toy with me when I have her out to give her something to chomp on besides me. I've seen a lot of people post that when their bird was done with the bluffing stage that it was like a night and day difference. I can't wait for it to be over haha. She doesn't break the skin, but it will be nice when it's over. She tried to give me kisses this morning, but the article says not to let them by your face until the bluffing is over so I have to wait. I still love her and get a lot of enjoyment out of her.
Codys Mom

Post by Codys Mom »

Hi smallworld Welcome to the forum
I have a Lutino IRN named Peanut and she is my sweet little girl and very cuddly for a IRN glad you could join us :)
effekt

Post by effekt »

WickedOne wrote:Thanks! Yeah she wants to sit under my chin alot, but I don't let her do it too often right now because I don't want her to become clingy. She's been in her bluffing stage for about a week now, I'm hoping it's almost over. I keep her foot toy with me when I have her out to give her something to chomp on besides me. I've seen a lot of people post that when their bird was done with the bluffing stage that it was like a night and day difference. I can't wait for it to be over haha. She doesn't break the skin, but it will be nice when it's over. She tried to give me kisses this morning, but the article says not to let them by your face until the bluffing is over so I have to wait. I still love her and get a lot of enjoyment out of her.
Sounds like you are on the right track with your bird :) The bluffing stage typically lasts a few months, from what I hear. Although it can be longer or shorter depending on the bird.

Kashi, the one I think is female lasted about 2 months. Archimedes never really went through a bluffing stage. But he is very hand shy, so he always was more focused on moving away than nipping. He has given me a few nasty bites but they were only when I startled him.
WickedOne

Post by WickedOne »

effekt wrote: Sounds like you are on the right track with your bird :) The bluffing stage typically lasts a few months, from what I hear. Although it can be longer or shorter depending on the bird.

Kashi, the one I think is female lasted about 2 months. Archimedes never really went through a bluffing stage. But he is very hand shy, so he always was more focused on moving away than nipping. He has given me a few nasty bites but they were only when I startled him.
I hope so. I'm trying my best to take good care of her and so far so good.
Darn I was hoping it would be a few weeks like it said in the article! Oh well what's a few months of bluffing compared to several years of enjoyment? :D
effekt

Post by effekt »

WickedOne wrote:I hope so. I'm trying my best to take good care of her and so far so good.
Darn I was hoping it would be a few weeks like it said in the article! Oh well what's a few months of bluffing compared to several years of enjoyment? :D
Your bird's bluffing might only last a few weeks, you will have to post again on the forum to let us know how it goes :)
WickedOne

Post by WickedOne »

effekt wrote: Your bird's bluffing might only last a few weeks, you will have to post again on the forum to let us know how it goes :)
Yeah I'm being patient because I'm still so excited by the fact that I have her. She is adorable and can be quite sweet, we're just still getting to know each other. I'm looking forward to when she is a little older and no longer bluffing, but at the same time I'm in no rush for her to grow up too fast!
And no worries, I'll be posting as soon as her bluffing is over. I'll probably be dancing when it happens lol.