Wing flapping

Moderator: Mods

ODIE1

Wing flapping

Post by ODIE1 »

Hi, I've had Odie for 3 days now. He will, on occasion, step up on my finger, but then he starts flapping his wings and eventually flies down to the floor where i have to corner him to step up again. What am i doing wrong? Also, when i put my hand in the cage, he retreats to the top and back of the cage. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Ken
MissK

Re: Wing flapping

Post by MissK »

Ken,

When Odie first gets on your finger, can you start stuffing little goodies into him? And are you keeping that hand rock solid steady?

-MissK
-MissK
ODIE1

Post by ODIE1 »

Odie seems to be very afraid of my hands. I couldn't get my other hand with a treat in it remotely close to Odie without him flying down to the floor and running around the floor. I thinks he's gotten worse since I brought him home 10 days ago. I'm at my wits end as far as what to do. If I leave his cage open, he'll sit on top of his cage and in a little while he'll be running around on the floor....almost impossible to catch and he won't come up on my finger/hand. I have to corner him and grab him with a towel to calm him down. Previously i had a Nanday Conure and had none of these issues. He seems to be happy enough in his cage....eating and drinking well, singing quite a bit too. He does like to play with his tennis ball and takes the treat dish and throws it around his cage. Any ideas on how to stop him from being afraid of my hands? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Ken
MissK

Post by MissK »

Ken,

Do yourself (and Odie) a huge favour. Stop chasing and cornering him. Stop picking him up in the towel. If you do not stop, and I mean Right Now, you are going to have a biting issue faster than you can say Jack Robinson.

You can lure him back into his cage with a favourite food -likely a nut or bit of fruit, maybe a sunflower or safflower seed. All natural peanut butter (no sugar, no salt) seems to be the gold standard of treats in my house these days. It is not necessary that Odie follows the lure at a very close range. If he knows what the treat is and how to get back into the cage on his own, as long as he sees the treat go in, he will follow it in his own time.

If the bird is clipped, and I'm guessing he is, you will have to make sure he has a way back into the cage on his own. He can climb something familiar, or you can place the cage directly on the floor. If he has to use a ramp or ladder, make sure it has plenty of traction.

He will get over his fear of hands, hopefully, in his own time. You can help him out by making sure your hands are always bringing something good (like food or toys he likes) and never behaving dangerously (like by chasing, catching, touching, or moving fast). IRNs are notoriously afraid of hands. If he can watch you handle another bird every day it would probably help. Also you can give him plenty of pleasant exposure to your hands as you let them sit quietly near him, and lure him closer with good bribes.

I wish you the best of luck with Odie!
-MissK
-MissK