Hey how can I optimize my bonding with my irn

Moderator: Mods

mcgeet

Hey how can I optimize my bonding with my irn

Post by mcgeet »

Good morning/evening
Hey! Hello there!
I need guidance for my 5month old irn which i had for 3months and is pretty much tamed.
I am a high school, i go to school as early as 6am and gets home around 4pm.
I give enough food for my irn for the rest of the day.
Though im worried that he would always get bored.
I am also guessing thats why he gets nippy every time i played with him while out of his cage.
He wasnt doing this before school began again. I had lots of time back then, but now i nearly get an hour with him.
Could someone give tips on how to optimize my time with him like what tricks should i train him and how to make him happy while im away in school.
Thanks in advance! :D
kiwilover

Re: Hey how can I optimize my bonding with my irn

Post by kiwilover »

the best way for bonding is training him because it strengthens your bond
here is how to train him to turn around:
1.tell him to turn around
2.lured him in a half circle with a sunflower seed
2.Tell him 'good boy'
or use a clicker
3.give him the seed
In addition, he is probably nippy because you don't spend time with him.
you can buy foraging and shredable toys because they keep them busy
Try to spend as much time as possible with him or he will become untamable

I hope i helped :) <3
MissK

Re: Hey how can I optimize my bonding with my irn

Post by MissK »

I find that I must interject my opinion that spending insufficient time with your bird will not make your bird untamable, but it will certainly be counterproductive. It may very well allow your bird to lose some familiarity and confidence (aka tameness) with you, making a bigger job with farther to go than you had in the first place.

Nippy behaviour stems from self defense. Because you are not perceived as a very great threat, you are getting nipping instead of hard biting. Your bird may have lost confidence in you, and may feel uncertain about you. Or else, you may be doing something the bird is concerned about. You should identify what specific action is causing the nip, and then we may be able to help you overcome it.

You can start, right now, getting back on your bird's good side with hand feeding treats. Try paying him a visit first thing in the morning, before you brush your teeth, etc. Just go gently to the cage, say Good Morning, and hand feed a small treat. Then go get ready for school. Five minutes before you leave, stop at the cage, say I'm going to school. See ya later, and hand feed another treat. When you get home, five minutes after you have been in the house, go gently to the cage, say I'm back, and hand feed another treat. You can really say whatever you want, but do say something and hand treat.

Do not, NOT give the treat the second before you leave or the second you get home, because to do so would make the treat contingent on your arrival or departure. This would create a risk of letting the bird expect his treat at those times and learn to demand it in noisy ways if it doesn't come as expected. Don't set yourself up for that kind of problem. You want the treat, instead, to be tied to you coming to the cage just to see the bird.

Of course, you should be spending that hour that you can with the bird. You should also choose a place near the bird cage for doing your homework, reading, computer - anything where you have to sit around in one place for some time. Even folding your laundry (don't tell me you're letting your parents do that for you!) and watching TV can be done near the bird. When you spend this time with him, you are helping him identify you as a member of his flock, his family. That is a good thing.

I'd like to help you understand how it can go if you don't spend enough time with your bird. I, personally, paid little attention to my bird for weeks and weeks this Spring. My Mother was getting ready for, and then having, and then recovering from heart surgery. It was a very big deal, and I needed and wanted to spend a lot of time helping her and being with her. After all, my Mother might have died then, so she was a *mite* more important to me than the bird.

So what happened? He got a little stand-offish. He still got on my hand, but he "tested" a lot with his beak. He was easily frightened by me walking up to the cage in a fast, non-gentle way. He lost some familiarity and confidence in me. Still my bird, but noticeably less tame.

So what did I do? I went back to handing out a lot of treats. I went back to having lots of quick, little chats with him. I moved my computer into his room.

How is he now? He's a lot better, but he is still putting his beak on me when he sits on my wrist. On the other hand, he is more confident going all the way out on my finger, something he was never happy about. He still shakes in fear if I come up loudly and unexpectedly, but he doesn't move away. He again flies to me randomly when he feels like it. In essence, he is still not back to how he was before, but he is on the way, and he has made progress. All from just that little change from me.

So go ahead, and try what I suggested, and see if it doesn't help. :D

-MissK
-MissK