Parrot losing feathers! Help!

Moderator: Mods

johnarcher

Parrot losing feathers! Help!

Post by johnarcher »

Hi I've owned a yellow Indian Ring neck for almost 3 years now and up until the start of this year he seemed very healthy. However at the start of this year my mother rubbed him in oil and every since then he has been loosing his feathers and doesn't seem to be growing back yellow feathers, only white ones. I took him to a Vet and she said that by putting oil on him we removed some 'natural dust' which protects him. I've been hoping he'd get better but so far he just seems to be getting worse. Please if anyone can suggest why he is loosing feathers and not growing back yellow feathers it would be much appreciated. Also what can I do to help him get better? I have taken some images which show some bald spots he has and his lack of yellow feathers but the site wouldn't allow me to post a link to them!

Thanks in advance!
SunniDai

Re: Parrot losing feathers! Help!

Post by SunniDai »

My suggestion would be to wash your little one in Dawn dish soap. That is what conservationists use when they find wild birds in oil spills. That is what I would do anyway. Someone else might have a better suggestion.
Question though...why did your mom rub him down in oil?
Dana
~Dana

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Ok, first like Dana said, bathe that bird immediately!!! Oils other than the birds natural ones will cause matting and misalignment of the feathers. It can cause hypothermia. It will cause the bird to preen excessively. But that is the least of your problems. When preening, your bird is injesting that oil. You need to get your bird back to a qualified avian vet. Regular vets mean well, but are not qualified to deal with birds normally. Can you tell us what kind of oil your mom used?? And why???
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

johnarcher

Post by johnarcher »

Thank you all for your quick replies. My mom put oil on him because she thought he had fleas or creatures growing on him and heard oil repels any such creatures. As it turns out he had no creatures on him and the oil did a lot of harm. She said she used vegetable oil. We did bathe the bird a month of two ago and he seemed to stop loosing feathers for a while but now that i inspect him he has new bald spots appearing everyday or so and he doesn't seem to be growing back any yellow feathers. What are the white feathers? Will they turn yellow eventually? Because that's all he seems to be growing. In addition he seems to be shaking lately as if he is scared or something. Could this be because he has hypothermia and is cold? And I wish I could post photos but the site won't allow me post any URLS.

Thanks again!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Please please take that bird to an avian vet. The white feathers are down feathers. Your bird may have developed an over preening issue. Hypothermia is a serious condition. If your bird is fluffed up and shaking it is a good indication of illness going on. Only a qualified avian vet can help you. In the mean time keep your bird in a warm dry quiet area. Drape a towel over his cage and take him as soon as possible.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

pene.sampson

Post by pene.sampson »

I would be very angry if my mum did that.. :D :D I can't stop laughing at the thought of someone putting oil on a ringneck?? :D Sorry I know it's not funny it can be quite serious. :?