Chewing on Leg Band & Leg

Moderator: Mods

aadams

Chewing on Leg Band & Leg

Post by aadams »

My IRN, Jasper, is a little over a year old. He has always been quite intrigued with his leg band, but more recently I have noticed him becoming more obsessed with it. He chews at it incessantly. Yesterday, I was sad to see that he has plucked the feathers off his leg where the band is. Jasper has never plucked his feathers. I called the vet and they told me they will have to anesthetize him and then remove it. I have tried oiling up his leg and removing it myself without any luck. Does anyone know of any other way to remove it without having to give him anesthesia? Or is their anything I can do to make him stop obsessing over his leg band? He has plenty of chew toys and foraging toys, so their is not a lack of entertainment.

Thank you!
MissK

Re: Chewing on Leg Band & Leg

Post by MissK »

I suggest prior to the cutting appointment you fully examine the situation for any damage or irritation to the leg caused by the band or anything possibly stuck under or inside the band. It is possible the band irritates a different condition, or that you may discover some foreign object lodged in there. I would rule out contributing factors first, hoping to avoid the situation of removing the band and then discovering it was something else.

Band cutting may be necessary in some circumstances, but is not without risk as you have noted. The other main risk I've read about is accidental damage, up to and including breakage, of the leg. I would ask the vet about their personal approach to and experience with this procedure, and Google for any info you can get.

Best wishes. Let us know how it goes.

-MissK
-MissK