When should I expect....

Moderator: Mods

phlem_21

When should I expect....

Post by phlem_21 »

... my ringneck to start talking ? he is 9 months old ?
sanjays mummi

Re: When should I expect....

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay does not talk much at three years old, and when he does, he is quiet and you have to be really listening, he mimics noises though at full volume!
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I think it's best not to expect your bird to talk at all, then you will be pleasantly surprised if he does!
Just keep yakking to him, and he'll choose if and when he's ready :D
babyboomer1001

Post by babyboomer1001 »

phlem_21 wrote:... my ringneck to start talking ? he is 9 months old ?
He should start talking within a couple of months but don't expect him to talk unless he is talked to. Keep repeating a couple of words several times a day, every day and once he has mastered those, choose more words you want him to learn.
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

I have three ringnecks, two Greens that are between two and three years old. They do not talk yet, but we rescued them two months ago and I don't think they had very much human interaction before we got them. Then there is our little Lutino, who we've had since she was three weeks old and she is just approaching her first birthday, and she is starting to talk up a storm. I guess it just varies. I hear some never talk.
Dana
~Dana

ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I've never cared whether my birds talked or not but they both do a little. I've found that they learn things that they have some sort of contextual connection to. For example, Charlie will say "give me a kiss" and then crane his neck as if to kiss something... and then say "another one?" When he is talking to the bird in the mirror, he'll say "c'mon", like I say to him when I want him to come. My husband wanted to teach Janey to say "wotchadoin'". He would always start by saying "hey janey" to get her attention and then say, "wotchadoin"... the unintended consequence of doing it that way was that now they prompt to say "wotchadoin'" is "hey janey".

As others have said, repetition is important... but I think you are more likely to have success if there is some sort of context or meaning behind what is being said.

Ellie.