Tricks to Teach our IRN

Moderator: Mods

SunniEddie

Tricks to Teach our IRN

Post by SunniEddie »

After getting some advice about our boys behaviour, I want to teach him some tricks to develop a bond with him...but am at a bit of a loss as to what! He already knows: step on, mosh pit and bat bird and will go to my partner when he says 'come on'. He can say: Sunni's such a good sun, sunshine, Sunni where's Sunni sun, Damos home, good girl(my partner thought he was a girl), such a good kiss, kisses, hello, whatch doin, step on, come on and a large collection of mumble which he usually resorts to when I speak to him. His noises are: wee, ooooh, cough, kill bill tune, half a wolf whistle (you have to do the second half), laugh, lorikeet sqwark, kisses and angry sqwark if we are talking loudly between us and leaving him out.

Any ideas as to what I can teach him to do to build a bond with him would be appreciated.

Jess
Jess and Damo

xoxo Our animals are our life xoxo
InTheAir

Re: Tricks to Teach our IRN

Post by InTheAir »

Hey Jess,

What's 'mosh pit'?
Nele is my boyfriends bird, and favours him, but I do all the trick training (Dave will run through the repertoire with him occasionally though, but never teaches new tricks).
Nele favourite tricks are anything that involve his red ring -not his green ring- (fetch, bring it here, put it on a stick, hang it from a perch). He is also currently slightly obsessed with waving, as he learnt it recently and thinks it means 'give me whatever you are holding'... It is a very easy trick for a bird to perform.

I just pick whatever interests me and teach it to Nele.. Cos if the teacher isn't interested, the student won't be.

Maybe check out my Nele videos and if you like any tricks I'm happy to give you tips on how I trained them.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=LVRrfdHD ... VRrfdHDesw
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=m-jg8a5srl0

Nele is only about 9months (i think), so all the tricks on there are pretty basic, so any bird could pick them up easily.

Claire
SunniEddie

Post by SunniEddie »

Hi Claire,

Mosh pit is where he bobs his whole body up and down with his wings slightly out and his chest puffed out...he does it to music or head banging or when we squeegee our shower...very entertaining! I am new to training of any variety as he has always been taught by my partner.

I am teacher myself so I find everything interesting as is my nature :) I would love any tips on how to teach tricks or even new words. Sunni loves to jumble his words together to make new sentences but when he speaks to me it is mostly mumble and rambling which makes no sense.

He is a very beautiful boy so I would even love to teach him a phrase such as 'pretty boy' I just don't know where to start!

Thanks,

Jess
Jess and Damo

xoxo Our animals are our life xoxo
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Sorry, i don't know anything about talking. I only train tricks. Neles talking is only what he picks up himself. I have read a bit about model/rival technique, but not really tried myself... Google Alex the parrot or dr Irene pepperburg.