7 week old irn. weaning?

Moderator: Mods

clp0630

7 week old irn. weaning?

Post by clp0630 »

I bought a irn at 4 weeks old and he was doing great with hand feeding. He just turned 7 weeks old and now he wont take his formula. He's very active and seems to be eating OK on his own. He begs for food all the time but will not be still long enough for me to feed him? Is this common? I'm worried he's not eating enough. He's also starting to fly.I'm wondering if he's older then what I was told? I've done a lot of research but I can't get him to take food from me anymore. Any ideas? I've even tried babyfood. He will take a small bite but then he runs off to play.
Skyes_crew

Re: 7 week old irn. weaning?

Post by Skyes_crew »

They can fly very well at 7-8 weeks so watch for open doors and windows. Not sure how to get him to eat his formula, but at this point you can mash up veggies and offer that to him. They usually fully wean around 10 weeks. As long as his crop is filling and emptying and he doesn't look like he's lost weight he should be ok.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I don't have any experience personally, but this post may help you http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... it=weaning
clp0630

Post by clp0630 »

Thanks....he still will not take his formula but he loves stilling what ever I eat. His weight seems good so I think he's eating more then I think. His cage is full of treats and different foods. I think he's just being picky.