UPSIDE DOWN TRICK... new trick learned by Rich

Moderator: Mods

leo1955

UPSIDE DOWN TRICK... new trick learned by Rich

Post by leo1955 »

Here's another trick which Rich just learned today. So happy to have her as my feathered baby.. :)
MissK

Re: UPSIDE DOWN TRICK... new trick learned by Rich

Post by MissK »

CONGRATULATIONS, Leo! You and Rich have it made!!

For a little reminder of how far Leo and Rich have come (and encouragement to others), here are some things Leo had to say just two months ago:

"...it's my first time to own an indian ringneck and i found it challenging to tame him..... He is not tamed, and always run around his cage whenever I want to hold him to feed.... I wonder why he doesnt want to get out of his cage and whenever i hold him out of his cage, he seems very uneasy and always tries to get back to the cage.... He doesn't want to step up on my fingers, even at night. Can I still tame him?" March 7, 2013

"...I'm quite happy with the progress though sometimes feel impatient on taming him.... I cant wait until he becomes really tamed at all times.
I am working during daytime and I only have so much time with him whenever I arrive home at night, maybe the reason why he is not so easy to be tamed. But I am not losing hope he will be tamed soon." March 11, 2013

Leo and Rich have made a lot of progress in a short time. I can only believe this is possible due to Leo's dedication to Rich. Let everyone who has a taming issue take encouragement from their story!

Good job, Leo!
-MissK
-MissK
jmlw7

Post by jmlw7 »

awww so cute! :) How long have you had Rich and how old is he? He looks like my Remy 8)
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Amazing success story!! I love a happy ending :) congrats to you on your dedication and perseverance. Congrats to Rich also for learning to trust :)
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

leo1955

Post by leo1955 »

Thank you guys. I really am so happy to share all these progresses. I believe without you guys in this site, it would not be possible for me to tame and train Rich. There are times I am so desperate I want to give up, especially those times when Rich is in the "bluffing" stage. How many times Rich made my fingers bled? can't count the numbers lol. Everyday I have to read through the pages of posts in here. I thought to myself " if they can tame their feathered friends, why can't I"? and so the rest is history. Thank you guys and this I have to say to those who are really new to IRN rearing, If you are really dedicated and have a heart to love a bird, there is no impossibility that you can win your feathered friend's full trust. :)
leo1955

Post by leo1955 »

jmlw7 wrote:awww so cute! :) How long have you had Rich and how old is he? He looks like my Remy 8)
Rich is 5 - 6 months old. (not very sure of age, since I only acquired her from a second owner too, who told me she was 3 - 4 months old). I have her since March 1, 2013.
Fidgit_Green

Post by Fidgit_Green »

WOW!!
Leo, you make me so jealous.
Fidgit is coming up to 8 months old and he still hasnt really properly learned a trick yet.
i have tried to teach him to "Shake" but he hasnt figured out what he is doing yet, i put out my thumb and tell him to shake and when he grabs my thumb with one foot i give it a little wiggle and tell him good boy and give him a treat, but he seems to just think he is trying to step up and isnt yet understanding that when he does something for me he gets a treat.

so i am very envious of you and rich an also congratulate you on all your hard work and progress.
i know that each bird is different and learn at different rates, and i know that it is just a matter of more time, effort and love to get to where i want to be and like you said, reading the progress others make with their own birds does make it easier to keep hope of things getting better.

please keep posting your efforts and progress on here because it helps others like us to have hope that we are on the right path.
i look forward to your future posts.
thank you.

Cheers
Paul
jmlw7

Post by jmlw7 »

leo1955 wrote:
jmlw7 wrote:awww so cute! :) How long have you had Rich and how old is he? He looks like my Remy 8)
Rich is 5 - 6 months old. (not very sure of age, since I only acquired her from a second owner too, who told me she was 3 - 4 months old). I have her since March 1, 2013.
Thats amazing. We got Remy when he was 8 months old already and we've only had him for one month. He came from a pet store so who knows what kind of life he had before us. He steps up and everything and is super comfortable with us, but isnt used to being touched. We pet him and scratch his beak every night when he is falling asleep on his bamboo palm plant before we put him back in his cage, but wont let us pet him when he is on us or hanging on the couch with us. We keep trying to train him to let us pet him so he is used to our hands on him, but its slow going.

Any advice for how you got Rich to hang upside down? seems like a good starting point for us to try with Remy since its the least hand contact trick we could aim for?
leo1955

Post by leo1955 »

jmlw7 wrote:
Any advice for how you got Rich to hang upside down? seems like a good starting point for us to try with Remy since its the least hand contact trick we could aim for?
the first time I tried the trick, I made her feel very comfortable when she steps up on my finger., then I would pet her and hold her whole body with my other hand, tilting slowly to upside down position. Let her feel that she is secured that she won't fall. Then bring her back to normal position still holding her body. I repeated it several times saying the "upside down" command. When she is used to it, while in a hanging position, I slowly remove my hand holding her body, and there she goes. What I admire Rich much is that I don't use or give her treat to do the trick, I think she just love to do it. And she feels that we are just playing. lol.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Isn't that so nice, to play a game with the bird? Rocky and I have really only one game, but it's fun. He has a half a coconut shell for keeping toys in, He tries to empty the shell and I try to fill it, both as fast as we can. It's very funny.

-MissK
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I would love to see a video of that MissK lol that must be a sight to see. Leo, you should make a video of how you taught rich. We really should have a video training category.

MissK

Post by MissK »

I can't participate in videos. I'm technically challenged. But it is funny. The thing is, he wins, because I don't want to accidentally hit his head or scare him, and he has the easier job since my hand is so big next to the shell. I guess if the game were picking up coconuts then *I* would win.

-MissK
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I see your point. It's a great mental image though :)