New Bird, Some Tips Please?

Moderator: Mods

kienna

New Bird, Some Tips Please?

Post by kienna »

This afternoon I am getting an 8 year old male Indian Ringneck. I have never had one before though I have owned all sorts of Finches, Budgies, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, and many Parrotlets.
This guy was a breeder and after being paired with his MOM his whole life (8 years) he has now been separated and sold off because they were no longer producing for the breeder....
He is not excessively scared of people, but he is by no means hand tame.
Is there a chance I would be able to tame him at his age or would it be better not to try? I don't want to stress him but I would LOVE if he were a companion to me :)
What are some of the best things to keep him busy throughout the day? Food foraging, toys, large and decorated cage, anything else?
Anyone have some favorite foods/treats of their IRN to share?
I hope I am able to provide him a calm and happy retirement, I've read he can live 20-30 years or more so he still has a long time and I want him to be as happy as possible!
MissK

Re: New Bird, Some Tips Please?

Post by MissK »

Hi kienna,

Congratulations on your second-hand bird! I have no experience with retired breeder parrots, but I do keep a second-hand IRN I got at ten years of age. He was not forthcoming, but not overly scared of people, either. Having come from rather limited circumstances, he had a lot of catching up to do with regards to learning how to be a bird and coming to a reasonably friendly relationship with people.

I have had this bird for one year. He's made impressive progress in the areas of using his body and learning bird skills, as well as relating to me. He is not a pet-able bird, though I see no reason why, in time, he could not become one. His grandest unnatural accomplishment, in my opinion, is learning to fly to the human when invited. He will also accept a brief transfer to the arm of a complete stranger.

I have every confidence that you will be happy with your bird. Obviously, since you have bird experience and presumably understand what you're getting into, you are the sort of person who readily takes on a challenge, or you would not have selected this particular bird. I am certain that yours, like mine, is a big box of potential waiting to be opened. Enjoy him.

-MissK
-MissK
kienna

Post by kienna »

Thanks for the reply, that is also his personality - he doesn't seem particularly scared of people, just doesn't appear to have any reason to interact. Gave him some apple yesterday and he gobbled it up. He has always been on a seed diet - is there any good way to get him onto pellets? All the birds I had before I got as babies or youngsters and had an easy time transitioning onto pellets. Any brand in particular is best?
MissK

Post by MissK »

You're on your own there. I feed my bird seeds and grains, as well as fresh stuff. I had been feeding pellets so he would retain that skill, but he doesn't really like them and I'm not so impressed with them either. As far as I can tell, each brand has its own pros and cons. Harrison's seems maybe the best to me. Rocky seemed more willing to eat pellets that have been mushified with some warm water, and after he saw other birds eating them.

-MissK
-MissK