Introducing new birds

Moderator: Mods

lola13

Introducing new birds

Post by lola13 »

I recently brought a Military macaw I have a indian ringneck. I've had her for over a month. Since I brought the macaw into the room she's ever so quiet. The macaw is loud so I don't know if she's scared of him. They are on opposites sides of the living room.

I see to my IRN first with everything feeding cleaning and talking. So she shouldn't feel unloved. I'm scared shell never go back to her normal self.
indiasmum

Re: Introducing new birds

Post by indiasmum »

Hi Lola! :D

I was in the same situation as you at one point! I have an IRN (India) and a Long-Billed Corella (Angus), so it was the same kind of dynamic for my birds.

I got my Long-Bill after having my IRN for about 4 months, and at first she was extremely quiet, much more reclusive and not really herself. I thought to myself, 'What have I done? Is she ever going to be the same?' fast forward to now, and she's even cheekier then her usual self!

To get Indie out of her little rut I mad sure to carry on each day as usual, whilst making sure that she knew she wasn't being replaced and that nothing would change within my relationship towards her. She soon learnt that I really did still love her and that there's no reason to be jealous of the new addition to the family. It's important not to act out of the ordinary with your IRN, as they will pick up on it and attribute that change to the new bird, which creates feelings of jealousy within your bird.

After about a month and half my IRN was completely back to her normal self!

It's important to remember that your IRN is of course going to be shocked, and yes, even scared, of bringing in a very large bird into the family!

Hope this helps! :D :D :D :D :D
lola13

Re: Introducing new birds

Post by lola13 »

Hey
It's been a few weeks and she seems fine. Being her normal playful still scared to death of me self. But I've noticed she's a lot more vocal!