Weaning IRN`s

Moderator: Mods

Spaingler

Weaning IRN`s

Post by Spaingler »

I am new to the list but have had an IRN as a pet before. I currently have a blue baby that is approx. 14 wks. old. I thought he would be weaned by now but he continues to beg and I continue to feed him. He does not seem interested in any kind of fruits or vegies. :? Nor is he very interested in normal food but does pick at it. When I spoon feed him he eats very well. Maybe I have him too spoiled? What do you think?
Angela Arenas
Spain
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hello Angela,

Firstly do not worry about him not eating yet. Ringnecks can take a lot longer to wean than 12 weeks. In your case, you are already up to 14 weeks. Every bird develops at his or her own rate. I would cut my feedings to mornings and nights. Just do not stop to feed him or try to force him, he’ll get it right when he is ready.

Here are some helpful tips. When holding the IRN, take some warm mashed potatoes or carrots and offer it to him. This food is more solid and warm, which will trigger a feeding response. Take some seeds, since he has no other birds to learn form, and with your fingers just play with them. He will begin to test them. It takes time for him to learn and to crack the seeds and eat the seeds. Also, feed him early morning and just before bedtime. After he has been spoon fed, offer some vegetables. It seems that parrots are more prone to playing with solid food after they have been syringe/spoon fed.

I know it takes time and it can sometimes become bothersome; however, just continue to feed him and offer him solid food. I can promise he will not want to be spoon fed for the rest of his life. :wink: He will get to a point where he wants to act like an adult. Once you offer more solid food into his diet, you’ll soon start to see he wont stand for feeds anymore. A word of caution, Ringnecks do not fill their crops like lovebirds, teils, or parakeets when weaning. It can be very difficult to gage his eating habits. Just make sure, when feedings have stopped, that he is eating.

Hope this helps. :D