2 rignecks in one cage

Moderator: Mods

hishal

2 rignecks in one cage

Post by hishal »

hi i have two indian ringnecks for about half a year they play with me with no stuggle but they dont speak yet is it because they are two of them in one cage people told me they will not learn to talk if they are in one cage is this true?
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Sorry for the late reply, been so busy!

Welcome to the board hishal

Your birds are not taking but there could be many reasons for that. I am going to assume they are young, only six months of age. Ringnecks do not start to talk till about six to seven months. You might hear some strange sounds, which are most likely to be the Ringnecks practicing their speech.

Keeping two Ringnecks together will help to restrict the Ringnecks from reaching their full potential to speak. I will not tell you that it’s impossible, but rather difficult. You might be wondering how you might be able to improve your chances of them learning to speak? Simple. Just separate them. Keep one Ringneck in one room, the other in another. Repeat words you would like to teach them. Constant repetition is the key. Even more effective is how you say your words. Words emphasized with more excitement tend to be picked up by parrots; so make your vocabulary colorful.

Hope this helps! Once they learn to talk, they keep picking up words faster and faster. Pretty soon you might have two motor mouths on your hands;) :lol: :lol: Hope you can deal with it. LoL!! :wink:

Best wishes, :D

I.C
LMRATS

Post by LMRATS »

Hi, I'm new to IRN's. Really love the site, BTW! I have a blue hen 4 years old, and a green male that is 6-8 months older than my girl. I've only owned them for 5 weeks now and keep them together. My male was a talker, according to his previous owner, so I can see them being separated here real soon. :) I'd love to hear his voice cause he's suppose to have a pretty large vocabulary.

Also another reason I started out with them together was that the owner and breeder of the hen could not get them to bond. She said she would go through the motions of chewing up paper and loving on her hand but it seemed she wanted her instead of her selected male. They have been beside each other from the time the hen was a hatchling, so I don't feel it's a color issue.

But right now I want them to come out of their shells even more. The male jabbers a lot when he thinks I'm out of hearing range and the hen is truly a pet. She is precious, loves to be held and coos to me, cleans my face and has never offered to nip me.

I'll have a ton of questions in the near future I'm sure but...my first one is........are females as capable of talking as well as males? An I live in southern Indiana, about what time would be their breeding season around here or should I just watch for signs from my girl?

Thanks a heap!
Monnie
www.larmonkennels.com
ringneck
Site Admin

Female Ringnecks Talking

Post by ringneck »

Thank you. :D I really appreciate the comments. I really wanted a site dedicated to these fascinating parrots. It seems that these parrots are unexplored and left for aviary ornaments. They make great pets, to me, the more fascinating of the parrot world. They truly are marvelous parrots!

While reading about your female Ringneck, I got the impression that she had a strong bond with her previous owner and is now transferring it towards you. This could be the reason she does not produce offspring with her “supposed” mate. She just has a really strong imprint to humans. If you do decide to breeder her it may take several years for a successful mate, if any at all. Time is the only method here. :wink:

“She is precious, loves to be held and coos to me, cleans my face and has never offered to nip me.”

Yeah, female Ringnecks make great pets! My female makes a crying sound every time I call her name and pet her. She loves to be held and makes the funniest whining sound. It almost sounds like a new born baby. It’s too funny! Her eyes pin and she just loves the attention.

“Are females as capable of talking as well as males?”

Female Ringnecks can talk. That’s what makes these parrots so marvelous; both sexes are capable of speech. Another attribute to these parrots is that they have the same ability to talk. Usually this trait is practiced in either males or females, not in Ringnecks. To get her to mimic just keep repeating words like hello, good girl, pretty bird, etc... It’s funny, once they learn their first word; they pick up words faster and faster. Pretty soon it will get to the point of hearing the word once or twice, then later repeated by the parrot.

Also, if your male Ringneck is a talker, she will almost likely pick up some speech from him. I have read that some aviaries have Ringnecks that talk due to one Ringneck, who was trained to talk, that was introduced to the aviary. Also, these birds will often pick up speech from other species of parrots as well, it’s not limited to just Ringnecks.

Oh, before I forget. Breeding season starts in February and if bred indoors can be anytime of the year. It all depends on the lighting. The birds should be starting to molt or be in molt now.

Hope this helps. If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask. :wink:

Best wishes,
I.C.
joe

lighting?

Post by joe »

Hi,
When you say, breeding depends on lighting, what amount of daylight is best for indoor breeding? I have read some articles saying more darkness is better for breeding. For example, 14 hours night with 10 hours light. What are your thoughts? Thanks!
Thysvn

Re: 2 rignecks in one cage

Post by Thysvn »

i have a male and i think a female, they are in one cage and both of them talk the female just started resently. so she learn all the words he knows and the male have learned 4 new words in the last 2 monthes. the male is 3 years and the female 1 year. i was wondering why the female keeps on bitting the males tail