IRN or ARN?

Moderator: Mods

Brandie

IRN or ARN?

Post by Brandie »

Hi everyone,

I just got my new baby last night and I'm confused as heck. "He" has a black beak and is said to be around 7 months. "He's" been through heck, plucked and beaten up by an agressive little parakeet and I'm looking forward to making "him" healthy and happy. As you can tell I use the term "he" because I was told it was a male bird but that will be a mystery for awhile. lol I wanted to post a pic but for the life of me I can't seem to do it so if I can just get feed back on the beak I'd be very happy. I was told he was an IRN but the beak color makes me think he might be an African Ringneck.

Thanks for any info!!
Brandie

Re: IRN or ARN?

Post by Brandie »

I'm actually questioning if he's a ringneck at all. His tail feathers are pretty chewed up so they're short, no help with identification, and his beak resembles a pionus. It's bone colored near the face and the rest is black. He has the yellow ring around the eye but that isn't much help either. Can anyone post a pick of a young ringneck that I can use for comparison? The web didn't have many young birds on it. Thanks!
fionalouise1989

Post by fionalouise1989 »

Hello, Im not sure of the differences between the two but I can post you a link to a picture of my IRN who is about 3 months old (15 weeks).

(removed unworking links)

Regards
Fi
Last edited by fionalouise1989 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brandie

Post by Brandie »

Hi Fiona

When I click on the link it says I don't have permission to view this. Dang.
fionalouise1989

Hmm might have been as I copied and pasted instead of going into the full link...
http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s59 ... 113445.jpg
http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s59 ... 113510.jpg
I posted the full link so these should work otherwise try the grey green thread where I posted them originally
Sorry about that
Fi
Brandie

Post by Brandie »

First off..Beautiful bird!! Second, mine looks nothing like that. His beak is what throws me off because its more narrow and almost all black. I guess I'll have to just wait and see. Thank you Fiona!
:-)
fionalouise1989

Hello Brandie
I just googled african ringneck baby and this website popped up the second photo has a black beak like what sounds like you are describing
http://www.parrotfeather.com/asiatics/africanringnecks/

Thank you, I think hes gorgeous but im biased :)

Im sure your birdie will be pretty whatever type it is, IRNs and ARNs are very similar by the looks of it...

Best wishes hope it all goes well
Fi
Brandie

Post by Brandie »

I'm thinking he's an African ringneck. I discovered why his beak was confusing me.. His is missing a piece on one side and it makes his beak look narrow. Man this guy must have been through a lot! No tail, almost bald on top and around his eyes and a broken beak. Poor thing! Luckily it's just a small piece and he eats well. (Like a horse!) Thank you for all your help Fiona, I really appreciate it.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Man, what a story!

Best wishes,
-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
Shalah

Post by Shalah »

Hi.. I was pleased to find a forum that discussed the difference in beak colour between IRNs and ARNs. I have a 6 mth old blue ringneck of small stature (120gm) with a dark beak while both parents are larger birds with the orange/red beak of the Indian Ringneck. Is it possible that two apparent “Indian” ringnecks could throw back to an “African” as I do not know the lineage of the parents. The photos are Entree at 3 and 6mths ( named by a snake breeder as he was a “bite size portion” ), his yellow mum and his blue dad ( on wire at right) and the fourth photo is the story of Entrees life so far which certainly gives hope to all novices out there. He has been through A LOT!!
I will also place this story in another forum.

I hope someone can help explain his differences. Ohhh I forgot to mention that he has paler feet. Not as pale as his yellow mum, but certainly not black.

hmmm Unfortunately when I try and link to images it says Im spamming for a new member and when I try to add an attachment it says the board quota has been filled. Does Anyone have any hints on how I can provide you images ?
Shalah

Post by Shalah »

Hi Brandie, I have raised a supposed ringneck with the same colouring beak as yours. His mum is a yellow ringneck and his dad is a beautiful blue ringneck. both with top beak red and bottom black. They are both large birds. I saw your reference to PIONUS beak so decided to look it up as Im a novice at handrearing. Thats the beak that my gorgeous blue "ringneck" baby has. I then looked up "blue Malabar Parrot". The male has a red beak but the females have the dark pionus beak. The male seems to look like a " ringneck". Im now wondering if my male breeder is a Malabar and if its possible to have a malabar cross with the indian ringneck. Looks like I go and start a topic to find out.

Please let me know if you find out anything more.