Indian ringneck found/taming and housing advice

Moderator: Mods

lutino

Indian ringneck found/taming and housing advice

Post by lutino »

Hi there

I have been a member of this forum for a few years now as I own an IRN, however, the other day we spotted one flying around outside in the wild and managed to catch it. I live in New Zealand so this is clearly someones pet or aviary bird. Basically it was as simple as putting and old cage with food in it in the field - bird jumped right in. We have been phoning around the area and looking at lost and found lists but we have had no luck so far in finding an owner. If we can't find an owner I would consider keeping the bird as a friend for my 4yr old female ring neck. The bird is fairly friendly, just very quiet...it looks in very good health though and is eating plenty. I have no clue how old it is or its gender. Are there any indicators? Its green and stocky, no ring.
If it is a female, what is the likely-hood of it getting on with my 4yr old female IRN. They are currently sitting in cages next to each other and my bird is very interested in getting this birds attention..but the found bird doesnt really care or notice my bird.

Any advice on this situation would be very helpful.

Cheers

Sarah
subodhhire

Re: Indian ringneck found/taming and housing advice

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Lutino,

My first advice would be to please find its owner and return the bird back as its actual owner might be missing it a lot. If there is no ring then i think its a female.
If you want to keep it you can as there are no specific rules as such, but normally 2 females wont get along very well with each other. But i have seen many females living together in the same cage happily. So if they are getting along very well i think there should not be any issue. Also it will take some time for the new bird to settle in your house, thats the reason its not reacting to your bird. But at time goes by it will.

Hope you find this helpful

Subodh
lutino

Post by lutino »

Ok thanks. Believe me, we have spent a lot of time looking for its owner and knocking door to door. Hope we find its home too.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Have you put it on www.parrotalert.com?

Ellie.