Do I need to separate during breeding season

Moderator: Mods

evelch

Do I need to separate during breeding season

Post by evelch »

I need some expert advice. I have a 2 yr old male and a 3 mth old female. I now have them housed in the same cage and they seem happy to live together doing their own thing. I am concerned about the next breeding session as my female will only be 12 months old and probably too young to breed but my male will be ready. Will I need to separate them during the breeding season? I'd rather not as they are getting along so wonderfully. They are both pets and are handled a lot with no signs of jealousy. The only sign of dominance comes from the male when I offer treats, he must get first taste and the female seems quite happy to sit back & wait for him to finish before she moves in to have some, which the male allows her to do without any fuss. I do intend to breed them when the female is old enough which I believe is around 2 yrs of age. Please correct me if I am wrong about the breeding ages.
Eve
mikeb

Re: Do I need to separate during breeding season

Post by mikeb »

i would leave them together unless they seem to be fighting the female will be more aggressive than the male especially during breeding season and it is possible that she will breed at 1 year old
evelch

Re: Do I need to separate during breeding season

Post by evelch »

Thank you so much...