My new baby

Moderator: Mods

Georgia

My new baby

Post by Georgia »

Hi there,
We have been breeding IRN's for quite some time in a large aviary, I have recently decided to bring one inside & tame her as an 'inside pet' she has been out of the nest box for 2weeks& appears to be weened. I'm bringing her inside today & will be getting her wings clipped. Just looking for some pointers on feeding, loving, taming & keeping my baby 'Midori' happy.
If anyone has some helpfull tips they would be much appreciated :)
Xx Georgia & Midori
sahhbear

Re: My new baby

Post by sahhbear »

Hi Georgia,

I'm relatively new to this too but from what I've learned so far it's best if you can try to get Midori on a pellet/crumble diet and feed her seed as a treat/reward. IRNs love lots of fruits and veges and I've found this post to be most helpful when thinking "hmm I wonder if he can have that?" It also has some pretty neat recipes and things that you can try and some dos and don'ts- VERY handy for us beginners! :wink:

http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... f=3&t=8078

As for taming... I'm working on that myself- so I don't have any golden pointers for you as it's trial and error for me at the moment but I have found rewarding my bird (Rani) for his good behaviour with a little treat seems to work and trying to redirect him if I can see he's going to nip also helps. If I want him to do something like step up on my hand I try to keep the "command" simple and say "Step up" and when I put him back in his cage I say "Rani, home"...

There's probably 10 million ways and there's definitely far more experienced people out there but hopefully that helps a little!

Good luck and enjoy your baby!

Sarah
XX
Sarah Xx