Need some help with my new pairings.

Moderator: Mods

Youngspud

Need some help with my new pairings.

Post by Youngspud »

I am not overly fussed if I don't have a clutch this season as I have only just paired them together but I am wondering what could happen in the near future.
I have been been breeding IRN for a while, only blue and lutino, but recently my uncle jack passed away so I have had a few handed down to me from him.
There is one I am not quite sure exactly what it is,
I was told it is a sky-blue lacewing WHWT but am not certain, it has a pure white head that isn't fading to a blue at all and the blue is a silver blue colour that is really light, It has also started to get slight white dots on it's back, I have paired it with a male turquoise so what kind of young ones do you think I'll have?
These are pure ringnecks as they were bred from the famous smith brothers in Australia,
so I'm hoping there may even be a split in my grey x blue pairing just for a bit of a surprise.
rod038

Re: Need some help with my new pairings.

Post by rod038 »

A Sky Blue Lacewing would appear almost white with just the slightest hint of Blue on the body. Its head would be pure white. It is a Combination of Cinnamon and Lacewing and Blue. It is a Sex linked Mutation like your Lutinos. Pairing it to a Turquoise Blue Cock bird would give you Blue and Turquoise Blue in Cocks and Hens. The young Cocks would be split to Cinnamon and Lacewing. Would be hard to tell about the WHWT as it would be a very light coloured bird anway.
As far as being WHWT you wont know that unless you pair it to another WHWT or a Split WHWT as that is a recessive mutation and needs to be present in both parents. It would be an uncommon combination with Lacewing but coming from Jack and Syd Smith is not out of the question. Only the Cock bird gets the White Head where as in Lacewing both sexes get a White Head.
I would pair it too a Grey WHWT or Grey Split WHWT Cock bird as they are relatively cheap and WHWT young will show up as either being Grey or Blue and will have white tails and this can extend up to their chest. The White head of the Cock bird will develop over the next couple of years.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

I forgot to mention that Hens cant be split Ino, either they are or they arent so it is more than likely a Blue which will give you Grey and Blue young.
Youngspud

Post by Youngspud »

Thanks for that, I have only just started getting into all the splits/mutation type of stuff so still trying to figure it all out, there's so much to get my head around. I think my first year I will just try study up on it, then try and purchase specific IRN for breeding next year.
I would love to get a turquoise blue, ever since I saw one in person at jacks I have wanted one, what's the % probability of one being bred from my turquoise with the lacewing?
And also would you be able to send me a link of a site that can help me understand the % of offspring being certain mutations?
rod038

Post by rod038 »

So your Turquoise is a Tuquoise Green. If it is Split to Blue then you have a good chance of Breeding Turquoise Blue from that pairing. It is alos known as Pastel Blue.

Here is a link to a calculator that may help you. I have entered your Pair for you to see the outcome.

http://www.gencalc.com/gen/eng_genc.php?sp=0PsitIR
Youngspud

Post by Youngspud »

Yeh it is green turquoise, I'm not sure about the split but I guess I'll just have to wait to find out. Thankyou for your help :)