mutation help

Moderator: Mods

sarah23

mutation help

Post by sarah23 »

hi all,
i'm in need for some help because i have heard conflicting information about my ringnecks.
firstly, i have a blue cock and grey hen on eggs paired for the first time this season both 2 year olds. I always thought they'd give me 50% blues and 50% greys but recently i was told from an experienced ringneck breeder they can produce violets. i have been trying to research info to support this but nothing is giving me a direct answer. can someone please confirm the correct info for me please? and if violets are produced from blue and grey can you explain how.
secondly, i have a one year old pair a violet cock and lavender hen. obviously not going to try breeding them until next year. will i get 50% violet coloured and 50% lavender? i know lavender gives the cinnamon gene so if someone could give me exact mutation of this pair that would be great. i'm unsure if violet is dominant over lavender. if so, what should i pair my lavender hen with to keep that colour producing.
Thanks in advance. i'm trying to get a good understanding of ringneck mutation but it is hard when i'm given conflicting information.
mikeb

Re: mutation help

Post by mikeb »

blue with grey (blue grey) will not give you violets you will get blue and grey babies just like you thought unless the grey bird is a double factor bird if so all babies will be grey as for violet (blue violet) and lavender (blue violet cinnamon) you will get 25% blue , 25% blue violet double factor ,& 50% blue violet single factor babies & all the males will be split for cinnamon & if one of them would be double factored you would get no normal blue birds
sarah23

Post by sarah23 »

great thanks heaps for clearing that up for me :)
seeing as keeping the violet with the lavender i lose the lavender colouring i'd rather put a violet or blue hen with the violet male and perhaps a sky blue with the lavender? what other colours will help produce more lavenders?
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

to keep the lavender color you would have to have another lavender bird , a cinnamon blue ,or a blue bird split for cinnamon. if you breed the violet to the lavender and get a male baby you could breed him back to his mother and keep the lavender color going
sarah23

Post by sarah23 »

Heat thanks guys! This has been very helpful! I like the idea of the cinnamon cobolt! Could you please help me one more time with the babies produced from cinnamon violet hen with cinnamon cobolt cock?
I get that cinnamon is sex-linked to male babies but what if mum is cinnamon like this case? Also, could you give me the outcome if the male was cobolt pied not cinnamon as it would depend on what I could get my hands on. Thanks again much appreciated :)
sarah23

Post by sarah23 »

great thanks molossus! i think i am starting to understand the blue colours and cinnamon factor.
i know i'm asking all these questions but i just can't help but want to learn all about it.
one more: is lacewing similar to cinnamon in the sence that both parents have to have it to pass it visually to babies? what if one parent has cinnamon and one is lacewing what happens there?