Is this behavior typical "male"?

Moderator: Mods

Iloveringnecks

Is this behavior typical "male"?

Post by Iloveringnecks »

Hi all.)

I had my lutino ringneck ( really yellow and sooo sweet )
for about a month, the former owner said that when he got "her" from the petstore they said it is a she. "She" is now about 1 year and 1 month old and have started to "dance" and make qute noises and pin with the eyes. The wings is slightly moving like the "shoulders of the wings" is a bit from the body and "she" bows", dance, and sound sooo sweet. NOW I am almost sure it,s a boy! :P I love him her soo much and it doesn,t matter what gender.)

The sweet Loomi, ( Sweet name we named the bird with that means Lemon in arabic )went CRAZY in happiness and started to pin with the eyes, dancing and tried to kiss my Iphone :lol: when she/he saw a female IRN on youtube! Before I thought she "now a he", didn,t like other IRN,s when I showed IRN,s with my Iphone with clips from Youtube. When I showed the clips "she" tried to bite the Iphone and went really agressive! NOW I perhaps know why, It was male IRN,s on the clips, and when I showed "him" this female IRN...hahaha...aw... the bird went crazy/happy and seems IN LOVE! :P ( Showed him "Devri young indian ringneck female" on Youtube;)

I know it,s too early to "sex" my ringneck, because of the age, but isn,t this behaviour a clear male behaviour? ( The dance,the pinning eyes, the bow, the shoudlers of the wings pointing out from the body while dancing a "snakedance" :D

What do you all say out there?

Greeting from Jenny and Loomi in Stockholm
Parrotlover

Re: Is this behavior typical "male"?

Post by Parrotlover »

Hello! In my case is the same. I have one yellow IRN and I still don't know if it is he or she but he\she is dancing the same way that you described. And when he\she sees something round( like a ball or something) he\she goes crazy. It's very funny and when I approach the ball sometime he\she goes aggressive and bites the ball and sometimes my finger :D .
Last edited by Parrotlover on Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want to earn some easy money while staying at home? This is your chance register now here for FREE --->
http://www.neobux.com/?rh=4C696C6F3238
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

The dancing is a male behaviour, however sometimes young ringnecks will display behaviours of both sexes. I'm not sure at what age that is expected to stop. Someone else may be able to tell you that.

Ellie.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Having said that, I've had my two since they were young and I've never seen our male crouch down and arch his back and I've never seen our female do the heart-shaped wings love-dance.

Ellie.
MissK

Post by MissK »

What is that clinging behaviour about?

-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi MissK

If your bird is regurgitating to his toy, I'd keep an eye on him. If the behavior gets out of control or he gets overly possessive of it (eg. Attacking you if you come near it), you may want to remove it. It's up to you if you'd refer to remove it before the behavior gets out of control. Others may have an opinion on this too.

Janey was our first bird and we chose to get her a companion after we'd had her a year, partly because we thought she was getting to attached to us and we didn't want her to see us as her mate.

I'm not sure what the other behavior means. Does he emit the shrill scream when he does it at home?

Ellie.
MissK

Post by MissK »

He does make that call when he does it at home as well.
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
Iloveringnecks

Post by Iloveringnecks »

Hi all!

I now know that the dance is typical male, ( let,s see is this behavior is picked up from the petstore he came from and there is was two other ringnecks, but that was said from the former owner that we bought him from, so there was quite many months ago, or this is a boy;)My guts says it,s a boy:)Do you all know when the rings starts do appear on a yellow lutino IRN? I heard that the ring is not black on a lutino, more pink, am I right?
When if that is so, will it appear? Loomi is now 1,2 month old;)

All the best to you and your birdies! :D

Jenny