Clipping the wings or not while outside cage first time?

Moderator: Mods

Iloveringnecks

Clipping the wings or not while outside cage first time?

Post by Iloveringnecks »

Hi all!

Have anyone here not clipped the IRNs wings the first time he or she was outside the cage?
Did it work anyway? I ask because our lovely "Lemon" lutino female 1 year old and untame will soon some day have the first flight outside the cage
She,s allready doing little small noises like
creaks and snaps comfortable with her beak, I know that when birds do that they are really relaxed and satisfied
All of my birds I had before, did that when they were relaxed;)

When she will get out of the cage, is there something more to think about? Have any of you all, had any problem to get our IRN back to the cage?

Jenny in Stockholm
ellieelectrons

Re: Clipping the wings or not while outside cage first time?

Post by ellieelectrons »

I'm sure others will have lots of great tips. I've got two tips for you.

Tip 1. You can have problems getting them back into the cage. I would try letting them out just before it gets dark. When you want them to go back to their cage make sure there are no artificial lights on so that they will make their way back to the cage... just make sure they can see somehow. Sometimes I turn the lights off for a bit so they can see that it's dark and then I turn one on just so they can see to make their way back.

Tip 2. Cover clear glass surfaces (eg. windows) using curtains, towels, sheets so that your bird knows not to run into them.

Ongoing, you might want to think where/how you can set up perching places for your bird. Things will also go smoother if your bird will accept treats from your hands through the cage bars. Once your bird is doing that, you can try to get it to step up onto a piece of dowel for a reward.

Ellie.