Clear Head/Tail Question

Moderator: Mods

psittacinekane

Clear Head/Tail Question

Post by psittacinekane »

I'm a complete noob at this, and I've always found genetics confusing, however I'd like to produce Violets with Clear Heads & Clear Tails. I'm presently handfeeding four babies produced by my young pair (a SF violet and a DF violet). The offspring look to be 1. Blue, 2 SF Violets and 1 DF Violet. Which of these babies do I keep back, and to what do I breed it to obtain my objective above.

(I tried to post a pic of the 4 offspring, but the site feels I'm a spammer, so that isn't possible.)

Thanks for your help in advance!
mikeb

Re: Clear Head/Tail Question

Post by mikeb »

first of all you should not get any blue babies breeding a df violet bird to a violet bird you should get 50% sf violets and 50% df violets, breeding a df violet to a blue bird you shouldn't get any blue babies just 100% sf violets and to get cleartail birds(clear head & tail) you would need 2 visual cleartail birds or 1 cleartail & 1 split to cleartail bird . cleartail is a recessive gene just like blue so if you had a blue cleartail and bred it to one of your violet birds all the babies would be split to cleartail then if you get a violet female from that breeding it would be split to cleartail and breed her back to her dad you would get blue and violet babies 50% visual & 50% split cleartail