Bluffing questions

Moderator: Mods

kimijean

Bluffing questions

Post by kimijean »

I have a four month old creamino DNA’d female IRN. I took over her hand feeding at the very end and weaned her. She has been “mouthy” but never really bitten until the other day. She got me pretty good a couple of times but not enough to even break skin. I’m going to google “IRN bluffing” to learn all I can about it but any help/info would be appreciated. I knew about bluffing but haven’t read up on it yet.

My questions are……
1) At only four months old is this bluffing?
2) How long does it usually go on for? Weeks, months, years…..??
3) How do I handle it? I’m thinking back in her cage for time out away from me. ??

Kim
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: Bluffing questions

Post by ringneck »

kimijean

Every bird is different. The most important thing is to ignore all bluffing. If the bird should bite move your hand back. There is no need to scold the bird, wobble your hand, or punish the bird. The most important thing is to let the bird know that biting is not a form of communication. This is really important and if you handle this situation correctly, you'll have a female that never bites but will bond strongly with you. I have two females and they hardly ever bite! :) I can handle them anyway i wish and they love me to death.

read this article i wrote.
http://www.indianringneck.com/bluffing/

Best Wishes,

IMRAN-C