few pics on flickr

Moderator: Mods

dholari

few pics on flickr

Post by dholari »

Hi everyone,

couldnt put up pictures on this forum due to various reasons, just put them on flickr and the link is below

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cpaani/

thank you ...
ellieelectrons

Re: few pics on flickr

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi dholari

He/she is just beautiful! Is your bird an alexandrine? I was expecting an IRN but the red patch on the wing seems to indicate it's an Alexandrine?

Ellie.
dholari

Post by dholari »

wow, didnt know about that , since you said it now, will try gathering more info.
this is the local variety what we get here in south india and so i assumed IRN.
more work to do now :-)
i was assuming its a boy , you said "she" any particular reason ?
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

No, I have no idea if you have a boy or a girl... and I could be wrong about the Alexandrine thing... Hopefully someone who is an expert on this can reply.

You can see the red patch on a mature Alexandrine's wing in this picture:
http://www.birdsville.net.au/birds-for- ... exandrine/

Ellie.
Sweetedge

Post by Sweetedge »

awww he\she is totally gorgeous - I'm no expert but I think I agree with Ellie - Looking at his face and the size of his beak - I'd say he looked like an Alex as well

Very very cute xxxx
dholari

Post by dholari »

went thru various posts and wikipedia, yes ellie you are right , its an alexandrine - reminds me of my principal at the convent named alexander and who used to terrify students :-) .. history has it that alexander when he invaded india loved this bird and got thousands of them exported to european countries and it became an object of pride for royals - yes this bird is royal in the sense that it doesnt eat insects ( contrary to other birds) , mine doesnt even pick the dropped food at the bottom of the cage and one post even says they dont move around in the cage - how true - pretty royal - added to this my wife says i pamper him becos he loves eating from my hand and is still not fully weaned :-) ... I am sure it is a boy becos wikipedia had pics of male and female and mine matches the male with lighter colour and rounded head .. the female was darker and had a flatter head .