Second IRN?

Moderator: Mods

kimijean

Second IRN?

Post by kimijean »

I have a creamino baby IRN and she is very bonded to me. She wants to be with me ALL the time so we'er working on that. :D

My question is if I should get her albino sister or not? I would keep them separate until the albino and I bonded but hope they could eventually be caged together. Would this lesson their bonds with me? I know they may not be able to be caged together and that even if they can at first it could change.

Kim
ellieelectrons

Re: Second IRN?

Post by ellieelectrons »

Do you know the gender of your bird? If you have a male, you can get a male or female. If you have a female, it would be better to get a male as two females will fight during breeding season.

I have two handraised birds and both are bonded to me and my husband. We kept them apart at the beginning not so much to bond to us but just until they were getting along during out of cage play sessions. We introduced them to each other very carefully and supervised all introductions.

Our second bird is probably more bonded to our female than to us - he gets panicky any time they are separated but he still comes to us, does tricks, etc. He doesn't like us to touch (pet) him, but I think he would probably be like that even if we didn't have a second bird.

I have put a lot of time into them both and I think provided you do that, it should be ok.

I guess the only other thing I'd say is that two birds are more work than one.

Ellie.
kimijean

Re: Second IRN?

Post by kimijean »

Both are DNA'd girls. They're clutch mates/sisters. Even with them growing up together, and no male around, I would have problems with them not getting along?

Kim