Is she mimicking the cats?

Moderator: Mods

winsomesmom

Is she mimicking the cats?

Post by winsomesmom »

Hi,
I have a 4 month old IRN who I think is mimicking the cats' sound when they fight. She only does this when they come near her cage and they will then run away. Is this even possible?
Thanks for your input.
ellieelectrons

Re: Is she mimicking the cats?

Post by ellieelectrons »

Definitely possible. When your bird learns sounds they learn them contextually. I know someone who has a macaw who says, "Who's that?" the minute someone new walks in the room and wolf whistles when they see a girl/woman. I've read an article of aviary birds who when there is a disturbance in there every can be heard to say, "Shhhh. It's ok, it's ok." just like their owner would do. Do you think it's a fear response or is your bird having fun with it? If it's a fear response, I'd be doing what I can to keep the cat away from your bird... because it's not fun feeling on-edge.

Ellie.
winsomesmom

Re: Is she mimicking the cats?

Post by winsomesmom »

I've been really watching her and I think she is having fun with it, but the cats...not so much. She did yank a wisker out of the one who won't go near her now and I swear, if you could see her strutting around her cage when she sees the other cat, you would think she is trying to get her to come close enough to yank a wisker. She does not seem fearful at all actually.