Flapping Wings & Grabbing Items....

Moderator: Mods

Makailaann

Flapping Wings & Grabbing Items....

Post by Makailaann »

I have a 1 yr old female IRN who has started doing some strange behavior. She climbs to the highest place on top of her cage, grabs hold tight with her feet & then flaps her wings wildly and screeches! She is able to fly as her wings have grown back since her last clipping. And she does fly to me and follow me around the house when she wants to. But why would she purposely hang on with her feet and then flap wildly?
The other thing she does is any time I have something near my hands, computer keyboard, pens, papers etc she charges over and grabs the item away from me. Or in the case of the computer keyboard (since she can't pick that up) she bites me instead!! I know she is bonded to me & I am working on changing this so she will bond to my male IRN and not me. Could this grabbing behavior be jealousy and part of the bonding behavior? Any ideas on how to break this grabbing/biting behavior?
taywer321

Re: Flapping Wings & Grabbing Items....

Post by taywer321 »

The wild flapping you described sounds like exercise to me. My guy does it all the time, holding onto the bars of his cage or the top of his play gym.. Perfectly normal :-)

As for the grabbing, all of my birds are grabby also. They want whatever you have, kind of like a child. My Indian Ringneck plays on my computer desk while I'm at it and always tries to grab things like cords and pens. But I usually keep a few birdy safe foot toys around and encourage him to play with those instead. :-D
ellieelectrons

Re: Flapping Wings & Grabbing Items....

Post by ellieelectrons »

Unfortunately it would be impossible for me to have my birds on my desk for the reason you described. They have their own play gym area. Perhaps my problem is that I didn't persevere enough with them in my work space? I'm not sure.

Ellie.