i bought a "tamed" ringneck

Moderator: Mods

sotiris

i bought a "tamed" ringneck

Post by sotiris »

hi i am new to the forum.i bought a "tamed" ringneck about a week ago from a breeder.he said me that is hand tamed
well the problem is that the parrot is a bit scared.i can not give it treats from my hand because it's scared.
what can i do to improve our relationship?
Molossus2

Re: i bought a "tamed" ringneck

Post by Molossus2 »

Sounds as if you were "taken". How old is the bird?
sotiris

Post by sotiris »

well it is 3 and a half months.only in night is very calm with me but not with my hand
Sixty Fiver

Post by Sixty Fiver »

You have a baby bird that was recently taken from it's home so it will take some time for the baby to settle in and develop a new bond with you and with patience and time this will happen.

When I work with new arrivals at the pet shop (most are babies) it has often taken a few weeks of daily interaction, much of this without me handling them, before I see them perk up at my arrival.

A big part of this is socializing them with more people as I want to avoid having them bond too strongly to me as I do spend a lot of time with each of my little charges.

I bet that by now your new baby has already gotten better with it's new home.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

There is a chance that the previous owner lied about the level of tameness but that is not necessarily the case. It could be taking time to adjust to new people & new surroundings. Our Charlie was petrified when we brought him home but he still tamed down well in the long run. It just took perseverance. Charlie was definitely hand raised as I saw it in progress.

Best wishes.

Ellie.
cookie13

Post by cookie13 »

hi im new here also in this site and new owner of irn ive got the same problem,i bought my irn from a person doesnt have time for 2 birds so he decided to sell his irn.he told me kobe (the name of my irn) was hand feed and tamed,but kobe always scared when im close to his cage he jump in the lower cage.and more scared with my hand he doesnt want to get the food that im giving him.ibought him 4 days ago.he is 1 year old.and also he is screeching his lower cage like his looking for the way to scape lol.another thing when his eating and when he saw me looking at him he stop eating and go back to his perches or in the other side of his cage.any advice please about this situation.