step up ?

Moderator: Mods

kelly394

step up ?

Post by kelly394 »

hi we have a breakthrough my ringnecks will.step.up onto the perch to come out but as soon as she sees something to.fly.to she is off . and when she is out she won't step up at all advice please
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: step up ?

Post by ringneck »

Kelly,

You should be proud of the progress you have already made. From your post, it seems your parrot is already stepping up onto a perch inside the cage, right? I would continue working on your pet bird to step up inside the cage and slowly try to coax him to come out gradually. Gently and slowly move the perch out while the bird is on it. If he should retreat back into the cage, let him go back and restart again. Once the bird has become very accustomed to this he will expand his boundaries and will eventually come outside the cage. Always talk to him in a soothing voice and avoid direct eye contact during this stage.

The most important thing is to remain calm and keep your patience. In time, if you use positive reinforcement and work with your indian ringneck he will come around.

Best wishes :wink: ,

IMRAN-C
kelly394

Post by kelly394 »

she will come out on perch but as soon as she is out she flies off . when i go to get her back on perch.she.won't and again flies off. she wont take treats from me in or out of cage . she won't even.go and get food if Im sat on sofa next to the cage to. how do i begin ?
SpokaneSummer

Post by SpokaneSummer »

There are many people that don't believe in clipping wings, but for early training purposes, such as problems you are having, clipped wings make it so much easier. :wink: As the flight feathers grow back, maybe she will be better adjusted and more trustworthy to let fly and come back to 'step up'.
SpokaneSummer, Proud owner of Sky