turq/ino male to a 'violet' female, with odd results

Moderator: Mods

Demeta

turq/ino male to a 'violet' female, with odd results

Post by Demeta »

Hey,
Just wondering about the genetic makeup of a couple of my birds.
I have a known turquoise split ino cock bird which was mated to what I was told was a violet hen with no splits or hidden genetics. The bird is from what we can tell a visual violet and this was all fine til their first clutch hatched.

The two bubs are a creamino hen and a visual violet (possibly cock). But as far as the genetic calculators are saying, this isn't possible due to the turquoise factor from the cock.

Can anyone work out what the violet hen could be to throw these bubs, or whether the bub is just a turquoise violet and he just isn't showing it.

All of the 'violet' bubs markings and colourings are identical to his mothers, and now that he is just over 3 months its getting hard to tell them apart other than demeanor and the eyes.

Pics don't want to post because my post 'looks too spamy for a new user'
rod038

Re: turq/ino male to a 'violet' female, with odd results

Post by rod038 »

If you have a Turquoise Blue Cock bird you need to enter it as Turquoise split to Blue in GenCalc to give you the right results.
When you do this you will see that what you got was possible. However some Turquoise young can take a while to get there turquoise colouring as well. I had a 3 month old hen that looked Violet Blue and she gradually got the Turqoise colouring over the next year.

I would try and get a different mate for the Violet hen because its not a good mix with Ino as this can mask the Violet in the chicks. For instance your Creamino Hen could also be Violet but you cant tell unto you use it to breed with and it throws Violets. As a rule I keep Ino and Grey away from Violets for this reason.