Feather advice...please help!

Moderator: Mods

BugsBirds

Feather advice...please help!

Post by BugsBirds »

Gijet is a 10 month old green IRN. His previous owner had clipped his wings way too short, up to the contour feathers. We are quite angry about this. We cannot put him up high because he cannot even flutter safely to the ground. We're afraid he'll break his sternum so he is kept above or on carpet when he is out of his cage. I know that when wings are clipped this short they take a long time to grow back.

We're not even sure if he learned to fly. His confidence is lacking a ton and when he sees our Sun Conure fly, it's like he gets jealous. He starts flapping his wings hard and tries to fly but never makes it off the ground :( He has almost no balance at all.

We've had him since 7 months old. He did have tail feathers when we got him that were several inches long and then they fell out after a week. We figured he's been going through his molt but since then, they've attempted to grow back twice. Each time, only two feathers have appeared. After 2 or 3 days, we find they have broken once again and he is left tail-less once more. His cage is really large so I doubt he's stressed and pulling his feathers because of his cage.

He eats Zupreem pelleted diet every day, a seed diet 4 days a week with the pellets, whole grain bread and oatmeal, and a variety of fruits and vegetables. He loves his beans! He is a very healthy bird despite his lack of tail feathers. His wings are slowly growing back.

My husband bought me an 8 month old Indian Ringneck the end of December for my birthday. Ducky is a female (greenish yellow body, yellow head). She's a lot of fun. I'm worried that having her around Gijet is causing him stress so his feathers aren't growing or he's pulling them??? Could this be possible? Sometimes Ducky picks at Gijet's feet and she whistles at him.

We have Gijet (IRN), Ducky (IRN), and Sam (Sun Conure who is not a fighter and does not pick on our IRN's) all in the living room. However they all have their own cages. They're out of the cages 80% of the time. My husband built a play stand from a big tree branch that is on wheels and they all play on it.

Is having Ducky around Gijet okay? Or should I put Ducky in the other room until Gijet's feathers grow in? I don't know what would cause his feathers to grow then fall out and grow and then fall out again and so quickly! We took Gijet to the vet and the vet said he's chewing his wings and there's not much we can do about that. Sometimes they bleed and we hate to see that. We don't know how to help our little man. Any suggestions?