Spend the morning with us?...

Moderator: Mods

Mikaela

Spend the morning with us?...

Post by Mikaela »

Hey Ya'll:

Here is how my babies and I spend our mornings.

Hope you'll grab a cup of coffee and spend some time with us. The video ended sooner that it should, reckon on jesspress it can only be so long. :?:

*Gets the coffee and donuts*

http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?userid ... ime=094651
~ Mikaela Sky

jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

I LOVE IT MIKAELA! How cute is that kitten! Love it. Maybe I should let my babies cruise the floor like that. That looks like fun.
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

OMG honey, do you REALIZE that your birds could be dead??

All it takes is ONE poke from ONE nail... not anywhere near lethal ... the bacteria from the nail could easily kill the bird.

A very very very bad idea.

Athena
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Yeah, Ive done the research. Thanks for warning me in case I didnt know though. I appreciate that.

I dont know if you have ever watched a bird and cat play but when they are dealing with a ringneck they only act like bad asses. If she gets close enough for the kitty to actually make contact, they cant flee fast enough.

The cats are now fixed and have no claws (the other two have gone to their homes and we are keeping the baby you saw) so they are far more at risk for death by bird. lol It isnt like I jump in the shower and leave them to fend for themselves while Im away... I was feeding them all and decided to take cute footage in the process.

They are terrified of her. :shock:

I have a zoo over here with a house with an open floor plan. Other than bathrooms and bedrooms it is one huge open space so keeping them seperated isnt an option.

Besides, if it were, I'd still let them play together. Playing with cats, eating cheese, we all have our parronting short-comings... this is one of mine. I let all of my animals have fun playing together.

And as you can see... they are having a BLAST!

Truth be known... she is FAR more likely to get sick from something airborne as she plays on her condo on the lania, or a predator could crawl into an unknown hole and get her. An airborne disease could blow through, especially considering we live on conservation land.

I cant be her savior, I can only feed her, have fun with her and make her happy. Her time is up when its up... we all have a number.

Ask Chamon, I use to be SO over-protective that I couldnt even really enjoy her. She talked me through that and I now know how to let her play and me enjoy it, rather than biting my nails hoping whatever that is she just got off the floor doesnt kill her.

Thats no fun way for either of us to live. I like this approach much better.
~ Mikaela Sky

kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Very cute, thanks for sharing and thanks for keeping an eye on them while they play.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Wow, Mikaela

Please be careful! That is not a good idea. Although it may seem like your ringneck has the upper hand, it’s very unsafe! A pounce from the cat could easily injure or kill Baby.

Please take caution and keep them separate. I can bet you would never forgive yourself if something happened to your ringneck, tiel, or cat. It’s just not safe and not a good idea. :cry:

Best Wishes,

Imran Chaudhry
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

As many feel it is crazy for me to let my clawless kittys play with my birds (cats are terrified of them and just get chased basically), it is JUST as crazy/dangerous for us to allow our birds to play together... maybe even moreso, actually.

Im not saying it is wrong, in fact I encourage group pet play under direct supervision.

The point Im trying to make is Chief and Baby both stand a FAR better chance of losing an eye or talon as a result of a conflict or breaking a blood feather than my birds are to get pounced on or scratched by new born kittys/clawless kittys.

One cant pounce while fleeing. :lol:

If you ever watch a bird and kitty play, cats are TERRIFIED of birds. Curious but not enough to get into swatting distance. It consists of 'birdie chase the kitty for a good but playful bite on the tail'. CATS DO NOT STAND A CHANCE WHEN IT COMES TO AN IRN.

They flee before trying to go toe to toe. Birds are territorial, cats arent. Cats also avoid conflict if at all possible, meaning they will flee rather than choosing to stand their ground.

We all spoil our babies in ways we shouldnt... cheese, milk, playing with other pets, giving too many treats... you get my point.

None of it leaves our baby 'any worse for the wear'. So, as others dont bash others for things they arent SUPPOSE to do... remember, you are no better. You too do things we 'arent suppose to do'. You meaning all board members.

Be it cheese, group play, milk, too many treats... whatever. WE ALL DO THINGS WE ARENT SUPPOSE TO WHEN IT COMES TO SPENDING TIME WITH OUR IRN'S.

Ya may not admit it but you know its true and that is good enough for me. 8)
~ Mikaela Sky

kraftygurl

Post by kraftygurl »

I wouldn't say that this kitty is afraid of the birds yet by watching this video and by the time it is it might be too late. I am very surprised that no one has mentioned the danger of the cat's saliva. Is anyone aware of this EXTREME danger? Dogs and cats carry a bacteria called pasteurella in their saliva which is lethal to only birds.

Even if a cat just paws at or scratches your cockatiel, the bird can die. Infection's can develop from bacteria on the cat's paws. If a cat or dog gets close enough to touch your bird, take your bird to an avian vet immediately so it can receive the proper antibiotics.

This is a quote taken from a website that I will post for you. You can kill your birds by handling them after touching your cat without washing your hands. Birds must NEVER come in contact with anything that cats have, including water and food dishes, toys, and especially the animal itself.

I realize that I am new to this forum and I appreciate the advice that I have recieved and hopefully will continue to recieve, but I must say that you should head the warnings and advice that others are giving you because you are potentially and deliberately putting your birds in EXTREME DANGER.

http://www.cockatielcottage.net/cats.html

Please take the time to read this website, there is a lot of good advice regarding birds and other pets. An extra treat here or there is not really good for your bird and yes, I believe we all do it, but this will not kill our birds. Letting your kitten play with the birds will. Also, think about what you are teaching that kitten.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Relax hunny.... deep breaths. I am well aware of all the dangers. Thats why I watch them. We dont judge here, we educate. I know many boards are full of drama and people that come online to beat on others but this board is NOTHING like that, at all. We dont judge.

Some think it is better not to clip, I'd never risk losing my bird so I am pro-clip... we all have a right to raise our babies how we want.

Just as ya'll think it is insane for my vicious, clawless kitty to play with my girl, I think pro-flight is much too huge a risk.

With four kids it is safe to say my birds have a far better chance of flying out an open door than a kitty attack. So as some take that risk, I too take mine.

Birds are highly likely to pick up an airborne illness, though I take my Baby everywhere I go and we roll around in the grass and play like 3 yr olds.

If you cant enjoy them, why have them? Decoration?

As far as an extra treat here and there not killing your bird... you coudnt be more wrong.

My bird just died last week because of over-indulging in cheese. Her previous owner got her hooked and I never took it completely away.

So unfortunately yes, an extra treat here and there can be just as lethal. I didnt take it very seriously either. Might want to rethink those extra treats.

And yes, Im aware IRN's arent suppose to get diary but it was her thing, her drug of choice one might say. She came to me addicted. She use to eat it rght out of her previous owners bag. I cut her way back to a few shreads here and there but the damage had already been done.
~ Mikaela Sky

Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

I too want to point out the whole saliva teeth thing about cats only because It wasnt mentioned before KraftyGurls post. Teeth are bad mmkay?

I'm not telling Mikaela what to do with her kittys, I thought the video was cute. As I am also pro flight I'm also pro leaving the claws in the kittys hehe. But again kitty looks just as happy anyways.

I second that the danger thing is equal with the birds. a few of my babies are missing claws or a chunk out of it's beak from altercations with other birds.

I also want to note that at my mums place I have two pigeons that got severly eated by miss feral, my sisters evil bitey clawing kitty. As feral as they come. And these two pigeons missing feathers and so on are still alive after being mauled by a cat. Being chomped isnt instant death.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Especially when you are RIGHT there. I mean c'mon... how many of ya have BIG DOGS that could literally EAT a bird in one chomp, though I see pics and video of that daily.

If you want to analyze and critique, look it over well. The kitty stands on its back legs and as soon as Baby gets remotely close he hauls ****.

Practice what ya preach peeps.

Thanks for your understanding Neo. If my kittys EVER went outside I would never de-claw them because they couldnt protect themselves. The lania is all the outside they get. I am pro-claw for any kitty that spends any time outdoors, that goes without saying.

Maybe some are jealous of how cute the whole thing was... people can be that way. Yuck on them.

Dont be a playa hata -giggle-
~ Mikaela Sky

Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

Mikaela...

No one is trying to tell you how to live your life, or raise your animals, we are just trying to be sure you are aware of the dangers.

A friend of mine nearly lost her bird to pasturella... because the bird preened the cat! That was the only contact... but the cats saliva was on its fur and the bird got the germ from preening.

We don't allow any contact between cats and birds here, period. With that said, my old cat has lived with birds all of her life... 22 years now. During that life she killed one bird, out of instinct. She grabbed it as it flew by, and the puncture of her claw was more than enough... she dropped it immediately but that was not enough. Now she's outside if the birds are flying about... for their safety.

It seems like you feel that we are picking on you, when in fact we are just trying to make sure you know the risks you are taking. Cats are cats, birds are birds, and nature never meant for them to be playmates.

Athena
kraftygurl

Post by kraftygurl »

Thank you Mazziemom, well said. I was not trying to upset anyone but was concerned that no one had mentioned this danger. I am new to this board so I am unaware of anyone's experience with their birds, and when this was not mentioned, I thought that I would enlighten. I am not cutting you up Mikeala, I actually found the video cute and amusing as well. I just wanted to make sure that everyone was aware of the potential danger. If you also notice the time that I posted, it was around midnight here and I was exhasted, but finally had a quiet moment to get online and check out all the updates. So I appologize for upsetting you.

Amy
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Naw, Im not upset.

I wish I would have seen this sooner. I admit I havent been onboard like I should lately.

Everything is fine, everything on www.indianringneck.com is always fine!

No bad here, this is our happy place!

*hugs everyone and admits the kitty is too rough and that is NO LONGER allowed, not even when Im *right there*

That was the first time I saw them play and tought it was really cute is all.
~ Mikaela Sky