My Breeding Journal

Moderator: Mods

Lushen1600

My Breeding Journal

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi just wanted to try and put up a breeding journal for my pair which are as follows

1.0 green /ino
x 0.1 ino
% from all 1.0
50.0% 1.0 green /ino
50.0% 1.0 ino
% from all 0.1
50.0% 0.1 ino
50.0% 0.1 green

Pic of the pair in their suspended aviary which was setup in June this year

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/56/i ... 400069.jpg

Start of Journal

09 September 2011 - First egg was found in box, female was still out the nestbox most of the day

12 September 2011 - Found 2 more eggs in the box bringing the total to 3 eggs, female still out of the box most of tthe time

16 September 2011 - Found 2 more eggs in the box bringing the total to 5 eggs, female is in the box and hardly comes out

Pic of female incubating eggs

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/1281 ... 011100.jpg

During the incubation period I found that the male went in the box sometimes and slept in the box overnight probably helping to incubate the eggs
Whenever the female exits the box the male feeds her and then whistles at her also lightly pecking at her until she goes back into the box
The male would also take food into the nestbox for the female

Hatching of the eggs
Please note that I did not candle any eggs as I chose not to touch inside the nest box but rather chose to just look and take pics

07 October 2011 - First chick to hatch about 28 days after date of noticing first egg, parents are feeding this chick as there is food in the crop

Pic of first chick that hatched

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/544/fi ... ched20.jpg

10 October 2011 - Second chick to hatch today on about day 31 after first egg laid, first chick is now 3 days old

Pic of second chick that hatched

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/2016/s ... tched2.jpg

Video taken on 11 October 2011

http://img811.imageshack.us/flvplayer.swf?f=P9eii" width="640" height="500" allowFullScreen="true"

Please note that I will update this as I go along and try and put pics into this post of the progress. Please let me know if you have troubling accessing pics so that I can make corrections

Thanks

Lushen Chetty
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Greygreen/cinn x DE Blue Cinn
DE DBlue Turq x Blue Turq CHWT
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
rod038

Re: My Breeding Journal

Post by rod038 »

Looks like a Lutino and a Green chick so far. A couple of eggs my be infertile or dead in shells as you normally get 2 the first day. The egg on top of the youngest chicks head looks ok the other 2 Im not so sure. Leave them there if they dont hatch as they help keep the little ones warm and stop the mum sitting too tight on them.
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Thanks Rod, I haven't touched anything and I don't intend on intefering with the eggs as this is the my first try at breeding any bird and its also a learning experience for me, will see what happens during the course of the week and will update the post
Once again thanks for the advice.

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
jillybean

Post by jillybean »

Hi Lushen, I am also trying my hand at breeding for the first time, both my birds are lutinos and are sitting on 3 eggs, I did candle 1 egg and was fertile but to scared to touch the rest, she is in there the whole time hardly ever comes out, its getting a bit messy in their, she seems to poop in only one corner so should I leave it or carefully scoop it out and put more wood shavings in or just leave well enough alone. Cheers Leigh
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Jilly, thanks for replying to my topic, sorry guys for not updating as I got so caught up with work and have'nt been online in a while.

My advice would be not to interfere if this is your first time breeding, but you can open the box every now and then just to observe, as you can see I did not even candle my eggs, I just let nature take its course

Will update the post later with a pic and video

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
jillybean

Post by jillybean »

Hi Lushen, Just watched your video of babies, so cool, I noticed you had other ringnecks in the cage, is it possible to breed in a colony like cockatiels and budgies? I was told to take breeding pairs out as they get nasty and will kill other birds. I took mine out but would be so much easier if could leave them all together running out of other cages. Your babies are so cool carnt wait for mine to hatch Cheers
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi guys here's an update, the other three eggs have not hatched, I think that two are gone bad(as Rod had suspected from his post above so I have now learnt what eggs that have gone bad look like) but the one in the middle still looks ok, not sure if it will hatch though, the parent are feeding the two chicks well, sometimes both take food into the box to feed them.

Here are some pics of them

22 October 2011 - Pic 1,

http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/5296 ... 011102.jpg

22 October 2011 - Pic 2,

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/5296/pie ... 011102.jpg

Video taken on 22 October 2011

http://img19.imageshack.us/flvplayer.swf?f=Py0d" width="640" height="500" allowFullScreen="true"

The bigger chick hatched on the 7th October and is now 15 days old and the smaller chick hatched on the 10th October and is now 12 days old.

Hi Jilly, my birds are kept in pairs in suspended cages which are 1500cm x 900cm x 800cm. I would not recommended colony breeding as it will created problems with the birds fighting and even killing each other especially during breeding season. You can keep them together out of season in seperate flight cages for males in one and females in the other, I have even seen some breeders keep all their birds together both males and females in one big flight cage out of season, and then pair them up a few months before breeding season in seperate cages. As for keeping them with other birds I won't advise that, as one of my friends had a pair kept in his budgie breeding cage and they where fine out of season but once it came to breeding season they where try to make the entrance holes of the budgie boxes bigger so that they could enter and they bit off the beaks of two of his female budgies which where in the boxes on eggs, so thats a no no and my friend learnt a valuable lesson. if you look at the first pic i posted on this thread you will be able to see how my cages are setup, i have done more work to them and will take ot another pic when they are completed.

Thanks for viewing the video, I also think look cute when they are small but my wife disagrees

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue